help!!! Baby sulcata question swelled up look at pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
Hey everyone. I came home this evening to find my baby sulcata all swelled up. I have pictures of him. I don't have any idea what made him do this. I was thinking he ate too much so I soaked him. He did poop a good bit. I weighed him before I soaked him and after. He went from 63 grams down to 60 grams. Please give me your input if you have any or suggestions as to what I should do! It's the weekend so no vet to take him to!!!

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 273

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Did he get ahold of any chemicals? Is he lethargic or active?

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
DeanS said:
Did he get ahold of any chemicals? Is he lethargic or active?

No, not to the best of my knowledge. Nothing has changed in his enclosure. He's pretty active, not lethargic at all.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
hmmm? have you added any new plants to his enclosure...like store bought plants and such? have you used any shell creams that maybe got into his water and was ingested? I am totally trying to rack my brain and other resources to come up with something, but honestly, I have never seen an inflated shell..... so his shell is still relatively soft by how small he looks, right?
:(

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
Well it's not extremely soft, but maybe a little. Nothing is new. He was fine at about five today. I put in some fresh food, came home at nine and that is what he looked like. I think it got a little better after I soaked him, but he's still very swollen. He is being fed dandelions, spring mix, soaked mazuri, a grass mix that was specifically for sulcatas, and I put a little yellow squash in their food today. I don't use the squash very often, but had given him that today. I've never given it to this tortoise before because I've only had him about two weeks now. He's still very active.

Here's another pic of him

Attachments

• tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 146
  • tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 143

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That really seems like some sort of gas build up, but I can't imagine what would cause that. Is it possible that he got some meat or dog poop? It would take a lot of bacterial activity to build up that much gas that quickly.

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
No that's not possible. He has been in his enclosure since I got him. Not exposed to any other tortoises or anything. When I soaked him I did see some "bubbles" a few times, but not a lot.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry. I got nothin'. Never seen one blow up like that before. There are some really experienced tort vets around. I'd try contacting them.

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
Here are more pics.

Attachments

• photo11.jpg
    photo11.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 147
  • photo12.jpg
    photo12.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 134
  • photo14.jpg
    photo14.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 110
  • photo13.jpg
    photo13.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 120

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am racking my brains here....how is he crawling? like is he wobbling like he is centered? or is he walking normal? I am sorry that I am asking so many questions.....I just don't know? Maybe if you pm exoticdr the first pic that you posted and ask him if he minds taking a look for you??????

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
It looks cute when its swollen! Do you happen to have any "before" pics before it swelled?

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
ascott said:
I am racking my brains here....how is he crawling? like is he wobbling like he is centered? or is he walking normal? I am sorry that I am asking so many questions.....I just don't know? Maybe if you pm exoticdr the first pic that you posted and ask him if he minds taking a look for you??????

He seems to be getting around pretty good. I can't locate "exoticdr". Can you tell me how to find him? I did a search and it said user cannot be found.

lushcious said:
It looks cute when its swollen! Do you happen to have any "before" pics before it swelled?

Yes, here is one the day I got him.

lushcious said:

Yes, here is one the day I got him.

Attachments

• DSC02234.JPG
    DSC02234.JPG
    605.1 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC02234.JPG
    DSC02234.JPG
    605.1 KB · Views: 73

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have seen swollen limbs before, but never in the shell like that I will PM exotcicdr the link for this and see what he has to say about it.

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
thank you, I would appreciate any help. I think it may be getting better, but not totally sure.

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
I think he may be better. Here's a pic I took about an hour ago. The good part is he's still moving around and active. I just can't for the life of me figure it out. I had also given him some food that is called "megadiet" yesterday but I soaked it like the directions said to since he's a hatchling. I had forgotten about that since I had given him that yesterday morning and his normal food yesterday afternoon. I wonder if it swelled up more inside him?? That was the first time I had ever given it to him. I am just totally at a loss.....

Attachments

• tank16.jpg
    tank16.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 82

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
Holy crap!!! Poor little guy!!! I bought and was told to use the rep cal maintenance formula tort food..... Any word from the reptile doc?

Status
Not open for further replies.