help!!! Baby sulcata question swelled up look at pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, California
I would hold off on the mega diet too. Could it be your water? Just grasping at straws here. That is crazy poor little tortie and poor you!!!

What kind of birds do you have, I have a Blue and Gold, she runs the house!!!

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
I have two canaries, a lovebird, a goffins cockatoo and a rose breasted cockatoo. I own bigbeaksbirdtoys.com you should check us out sometime!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
If he's still active and such...it could be that he's just a pig! He maybe eating more than just food. He could be eating his own poop...and he could be eating substrate as well. Other than that...I got nothing!

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
DeanS said:
If he's still active and such...it could be that he's just a pig! He maybe eating more than just food. He could be eating his own poop...and he could be eating substrate as well. Other than that...I got nothing!

I have him on cypress mulch. I don't think he's eating it but I guess he could be when I'm not around. And he has a good many poop piles I pick up every day so I don't think he's eating them. I think he's just a pig as well because he's acting fine otherwise.

emysemys said:

I sent him a private message with a link to the post earlier but thank you for the info.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
ingredients: Oats, Corn, Wheat, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Cane Molasses, Vegetable Pomace (Carrot, Celery, Beet, Parsley, Lettuce, Watercress, Spinach), Soy Lecithin, Soy Oil, Limestone, Dicalcium Phosphate, Artificial Color, Iodized Salt, Calcium Propionate (preservative), Natural Flavoring, Artificial Flavoring, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine, dl- Methionine, Wheat Middlings, dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E Supplement), Niacin, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K Activity), Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C).

here is the ingredient list for the Ziegler Monster Diet (aka; mega diet).....just for anyones reference :D

Ingredients
Catalog #0001474 Catalog #0065161
Ground soybean hulls, ground corn, ground oats, dehulled soybean meal, wheat middlings, cane molasses, dehydrated alfalfa meal, wheat germ, soybean oil, dicalcium phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, brewers dried yeast, calcium carbonate, salt, DL-methionine, choline chloride, menadione dimethylpyrimidinol bisulfite (vitamin K), pyridoxine hydrochloride, d-alpha tocopheryl acetate (natural source vitamin E), cholecalciferol (vitamin D3), biotin, L-lysine, tocopherols (a preservative), calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, riboflavin, folic acid, nicotinic acid, thiamin mononitrate, vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, zinc oxide, ferrous carbonate, copper sulfate, zinc sulfate, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate, sodium selenite.

This is the ingredient list for Mazuri Tortoise food, also for reference :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never heard of that diet before, but I'm willing to guess that its your culprit. I would soak daily for a good 45 minutes and just stick to regular greens and stuff for a bit. The long warm soaks will help clear him out faster and get whatever caused all that gas build up out.

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
Yeah, now that I really think about it, that's my best guess as well. I soaked him twice last night after I realized he was like that and boy did he poop! I soaked him again this morning but he didn't go.

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
My goodness that's so weird! He was cute when he was swollen :p My puppy did that when he was a TINY baby, but he was treated for worms and was fine. Very curious as to what caused it though?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Monster diet/Mega diet was sold through the Reno Turtoise Club. I bought some from them but didn't use it because when I opened the package it smelled very strongly of fruit...and grazing tortoises aren't supposed to have fruit. That very well might be your culprit. I've heard it said that grazing tortoises' kidneys (and innards) don't process sugars well. That's just something that stuck in my head from years and years ago. I don't know if its true or just one of those old beliefs from years ago. But stop feeding it and see if he "un-swells."

(I absolutely LOVE your avatar!!)

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
blafiriravt said:
My goodness that's so weird! He was cute when he was swollen :p My puppy did that when he was a TINY baby, but he was treated for worms and was fine. Very curious as to what caused it though?

Just read this thread and thought that Brandon might be on to something. Maybe dropping a fecal off at the vet is not a bad idea. I hope he is getting better now!! Keep us posted.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Just got your PM...Holy Moley!! Well, since there is no sign of edema, it has to be either gas buildup in the digestive system or a really full urinary bladder, was his vent blocked before you soaked him? My best guess is gas due to some highly fermentable product being eaten...any cabbage? something that he ate might have been getting close to fermentation. As long as he's not suffering from a twist in his intestine he should be fine...very striking photos.

doc

Went back an read all the posts in this thread....bet a dollar it's the Megadiet and the mollasses is the culprit (especially with the alfalfa meal....perfect combo for fermentation...surprised the little tyke wasn't drunk off his rocker).

Doc

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
exoticsdr said:
Just got your PM...Holy Moley!! Well, since there is no sign of edema, it has to be either gas buildup in the digestive system or a really full urinary bladder, was his vent blocked before you soaked him? My best guess is gas due to some highly fermentable product being eaten...any cabbage? something that he ate might have been getting close to fermentation. As long as he's not suffering from a twist in his intestine he should be fine...very striking photos.

doc

Went back an read all the posts in this thread....bet a dollar it's the Megadiet and the mollasses is the culprit (especially with the alfalfa meal....perfect combo for fermentation...surprised the little tyke wasn't drunk off his rocker).

Doc

No, his vent wasn't blocked. He's still swollen today but I think it's getting better. Or at least I hope he is and it's not just hopeful thinking. I got the megadiet because it was supposed to be for sulcatas. No cabbage.
Thank you for your input. I appreciate it very much. I'm going to soak him again in the morning and hopefully a lot more will pass. I will post an update of his progress tomorrow. Thanks to everyone!

emysemys said:
Monster diet/Mega diet was sold through the Reno Turtoise Club. I bought some from them but didn't use it because when I opened the package it smelled very strongly of fruit...and grazing tortoises aren't supposed to have fruit. That very well might be your culprit. I've heard it said that grazing tortoises' kidneys (and innards) don't process sugars well. That's just something that stuck in my head from years and years ago. I don't know if its true or just one of those old beliefs from years ago. But stop feeding it and see if he "un-swells."

(I absolutely LOVE your avatar!!)

Yes I noticed it smelled really good as well! Guess that's trash for sure!

Thank you for the compliment on my cat! His name is Tonka. He's a three year old male bengal that is absolutely spoiled rotten to the core! My friends call him my spotted brat, lol! He is in to EVERYTHING all the time, but I wouldn't take anything for him!

M

Maggie Cummings

I'd keep soaking him, and give him some softened pumpkin, that helps move stuff along and will help him poop. And please stick to 80% grasses and weeds and stay away from canned foods or kernels of stuff. Use Mazuri as a supplement weekly but not as a staple. Dark leafy greens, grass, hay, weeds. Remember these are grazing animals and you can find enough of a good diet for him without having to resort to unnatural foods...

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
maggie3fan said:
I'd keep soaking him, and give him some softened pumpkin, that helps move stuff along and will help him poop. And please stick to 80% grasses and weeds and stay away from canned foods or kernels of stuff. Use Mazuri as a supplement weekly but not as a staple. Dark leafy greens, grass, hay, weeds. Remember these are grazing animals and you can find enough of a good diet for him without having to resort to unnatural foods...

I do feed mostly grasses, weeds and greens. The megadiet was just something I was trying to make my torts diets that much more varied, and was only planning on using it here and there. On the pumpkin... Should I use canned, baby food, or cook my own? Do they like it?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
softening your own pumpkin would be my first choice...however, the canned is good too but unsweetened :D IMHO

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you can grate the pumpkin, or use a spoonful of non spice canned pumpkin.
or maybe... the vet would recommend a few days of fasting and lots of warm soaks>>??

bigbeaks

10 Year Member!
Soaked my baby sulcata (tank) this morning and he had two or three nice poops. I think the swelling is still decreasing, but it's so hard to tell for sure. If he weren't "round" I may could measure him, lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.