Help! (bloody cloaca)

hkasal09

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sutherlin, Oregon
I have a Russian tortoise bleeding from the butthole to the end of the tail due to it being split open from a fall. Not bleeding too bad and he did have a bowel movement afterwards. He's keeping it pretty tucked and normally doesn't. Not sure what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1470187166.484554.jpg

hkasal09

5 Year Member
Sutherlin, Oregon
I was holding him and my ornate box turtle. My ornate box turtle bit me and out of shock, I accidentally dropped my Russian tortoise. I'm assuming he landed on his tail.

hkasal09

5 Year Member
Sutherlin, Oregon
It was very scary. I am very thankful he is okay and doing well. He's ready to be on the run again! I've kept him separated from the others so he could get proper healing.

I think that's a female lol. You can tell by the tail. If it's short and hangs, it's a female (yours) if it's long and tucks to the side, it's a male. I have a male. Yours is a female.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I think that's a female lol. You can tell by the tail. If it's short and hangs, it's a female (yours) if it's long and tucks to the side, it's a male. I have a male. Yours is a female.

Hm... looks like a male to me. I have a female... ;)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
They become very strong and wiggly, i almost dropped Shellie one time when picking them up from bath at this same time. She had started flailing her arms and scratching my hand with those sharp scales. I didn't expect her to be that strong and that scratching to be so intensely uncomfortable. This is probably what they do to get away from predator's mouth. Anyway, i had almost dropped her that time. I had scared me to death and since I make sure i have both hands available for holding 1 tort when i do hold them. I'm glad to hear your tort is healing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would like to see a picture of that tortoise. To me, the tail doesn't look like a russian tortoise's tail.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
that's a Russian tortoise you can tell by the bottom of the shell and it actually looks male to me

hkasal09

5 Year Member
Sutherlin, Oregon
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481308833.725477.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481308845.886863.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481308856.708111.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481308866.021552.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1481308875.575025.jpg

I know they are Russian Tortoises. The smaller one is Male and the Larger one is Female. They came to me together, not sure if there siblings of the same batch or not. Does anyone know the Sub species of them? I've read somewhere on TFO that there are Sub species of Russian Tortoises.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
View attachment 194203View attachment 194204View attachment 194206View attachment 194207View attachment 194208

I know they are Russian Tortoises. The smaller one is Male and the Larger one is Female. They came to me together, not sure if there siblings of the same batch or not. Does anyone know the Sub species of them? I've read somewhere on TFO that there are Sub species of Russian Tortoises.
I'm not aware of Russian subspecies.

However, I am concerned about your torts' diet.

They cannot digest sugars properly - they cause digestive and kidney problems. Fruit, bell pepper, tomato and carrot should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally if at all.

Your torts need a diet of leafy greens alone to keep them healthy.

hkasal09

5 Year Member
Sutherlin, Oregon
Lol, that was their treat. They typically only get greens. And they do have their own enclosure. Although they do bathe together occasionally.