HELP!!! (getting a baby)

Tlynnxx

Location (City and/or State)
Fort McMurray
Hi lovers! Hope you're all in Tortoise heaven like myself ? I recently got juvenile redfoot/Cherry Head. Shes about 4 she came from a bad life before and is doing AMAZING ❤ But i love her so much i decided to build a second Tortoise table and am getting a 9 week old Redfoot tomorrow. I have caring for a juvenile down pat but a baby tort is very new to me. I am looking for any and all advice! You can never research too much right ????

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How do you maintain the correct humidity and temperature for a RF in an open topped table?

Tlynnxx

Fort McMurray
How do you maintain the correct humidity and temperature for a RF in an open topped table?
Alot of people have open tops, I got my design from a Facebook red foot forum ? I used to just mist often but now I have a repti-humidifier so it saves me a bit of work as I dont need to mist as much! And I have ceramic heat bulbs (no light) as well as 2 lights. Thermometer hygrometer on each side and the temps are perfect. She does have a lid I just obviously take it off for photos. But that doesnt help me with my question

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hi lovers! Hope you're all in Tortoise heaven like myself ? I recently got juvenile redfoot/Cherry Head. Shes about 4 she came from a bad life before and is doing AMAZING ❤ But i love her so much i decided to build a second Tortoise table and am getting a 9 week old Redfoot tomorrow. I have caring for a juvenile down pat but a baby tort is very new to me. I am looking for any and all advice! You can never research too much right ????
Care for your Hatchling will be somewhat different than for your juvenile for the first few years. You can keep a juvenile in an open top but I don't really recommend it with a Hatchling. High humidity (80-90%) the first few years is crucial for smooth growth and that just can't be achieved in an open top enclosure. Your best bet for a Hatchling would be to get a large plastic Tote with a lid and create some kind of closed chamber to use for the first few years.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Alot of people have open tops, I got my design from a Facebook red foot forum ? I used to just mist often but now I have a repti-humidifier so it saves me a bit of work as I dont need to mist as much! And I have ceramic heat bulbs (no light) as well as 2 lights. Thermometer hygrometer on each side and the temps are perfect. She does have a lid I just obviously take it off for photos. But that doesnt help me with my question
A lot of people have pyramided tortoises too. You may not realize it yet but those FB tortoise groups are run by lunatics who promote bad advice and ban anyone who tries to tell people the truth.

You can't maintain the correct conditions in an open topped enclosure. You'll see hundreds of testimonials about it here. If you switch, your tortoise will have a much better life, and you'll have a much easier life.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I would also advise you to take everything you hear in them Facebook groups with a grain of salt. Most of them are run by the same people and they give out incorrect info usually. I don't know why they continue to spread disproven things but they do.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Please look at our Redfoot forums and see clear evidence from Closed Chambers. They look like little smooth bowling balls the shells are so nice. Welcome and please understand we want the best for your RF!

Tlynnxx

Fort McMurray
A lot of people have pyramided tortoises too. You may not realize it yet but those FB tortoise groups are run by lunatics who promote bad advice and ban anyone who tries to tell people the truth.

You can't maintain the correct conditions in an open topped enclosure. You'll see hundreds of testimonials about it here. If you switch, your tortoise will have a much better life, and you'll have a much easier life.
It has a lid that sits on top it can come completely off for easy cleaning though. Theres also a second floor that comes completely out easier to clean ? and the baby Tort I'm on my way to pick up has its own tort table and it also has a completely detachable roof. They're under a big window so in the day I like to let her get an outside view and a breeze when its nice which hasn't been alot