new_owner_mack

Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hello! One of my friends had to move fairly recently and I took over care of (what she presumed to be a tortoise) 4 months ago. She gave me everything she had to take care of him and I've been looking for awhile to find out what species my tortoise was (she told me that he was a male, and that hes about 5-6 years old). Until today that is, when I was taking pictures of him to post I realized he might be a box turtle since no tortoises I saw had the ridge along the middle of his shell (like a spine?) If you guys could please help me identify what species he is so I can change his care, I'd really appreciate it! It's not pictured but he also has 3 back toes (with long nails, is it safe for me to clip those?)

IMG_6019.jpgIMG_6022.jpgIMG_6023.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Go to the thread on box turtles and follow that care...they are very easy keepers....eating fruit... berries...worms... slugs... snails...it's a 3 toed box turtle

new_owner_mack

Clovis, CA
Go to the thread on box turtles and follow that care...they are very easy keepers....eating fruit... berries...worms... slugs... snails...it's a 3 toed box turtle
looks like a three-toed box turtle.
Thank you! That’s what I thought. I’m gonna have to change the whole terrarium set up now but at least the diet I was feeding him should still be the same haha!

Last edited:

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
So cute, is it a girl?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I had a girl a long time ago. I am no expert so hopefully someone else can verify girl. What would you name her?

new_owner_mack

Clovis, CA
I had a girl a long time ago. I am no expert so hopefully someone else can verify girl. What would you name her?
I'm not sure if I want to change her current name (Killer LOL), but if we do I'll talk it over with my partner and if we decide something I'll post a reply here!!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Killer works LOL

zovick

10 Year Member!
It is a female Three-toed Box Turtle. The giveaway on the sexes in Box Turtles (even without seeing the tail area) is the eye color. Males have red eyes and females have brown eyes

new_owner_mack

Clovis, CA
It is a female Three-toed Box Turtle. The giveaway on the sexes in Box Turtles (even without seeing the tail area) is the eye color. Males have red eyes and females have brown eyes
Yeah, when I first had my suspicions about her being a Box Turtle, I immediately went to see the gender differences just in case and there was a really helpful guide on WikiHow! I'm 100% certain of her species and gender at least! And I'm completely scrapping just about everything I was given. It sucks because I live in an apartment so she has to stay indoors until my partner and I finish college and get good enough paying jobs to own a home with a backyard to put her in :(

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yeah, when I first had my suspicions about her being a Box Turtle, I immediately went to see the gender differences just in case and there was a really helpful guide on WikiHow! I'm 100% certain of her species and gender at least! And I'm completely scrapping just about everything I was given. It sucks because I live in an apartment so she has to stay indoors until my partner and I finish college and get good enough paying jobs to own a home with a backyard to put her in :(
She won't mind staying in...just set her up nice and she'll be happy, they are very personable...

new_owner_mack

Clovis, CA
She won't mind staying in...just set her up nice and she'll be happy, they are very personable...
I'm replacing the glass terrarium I was given with a wooden enclosure, one that's 2/3rds open, and 1/3rds covered! I pretty much followed as many guides as I could and bought everything new online haha. Picked up new lights and new bulbs because the ones she gave me were designed for tortoises. And she's incredibly personable! Shes so goofy when I let her roam around in the gardens in front of my complex

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
This is not always true. i have a male with brown eyes. the pic is not the desired view, but i thnk it is a female. the vent seems very close to the shell, and the tail seems pretty short.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! One of my friends had to move fairly recently and I took over care of (what she presumed to be a tortoise) 4 months ago. She gave me everything she had to take care of him and I've been looking for awhile to find out what species my tortoise was (she told me that he was a male, and that hes about 5-6 years old). Until today that is, when I was taking pictures of him to post I realized he might be a box turtle since no tortoises I saw had the ridge along the middle of his shell (like a spine?) If you guys could please help me identify what species he is so I can change his care, I'd really appreciate it! It's not pictured but he also has 3 back toes (with long nails, is it safe for me to clip those?)

View attachment 294231View attachment 294232View attachment 294233

I don't think you should have to clip any nails. Females require long nails for nest digging.