Help, my tortoise has woken up from hibernation early

esmenewtonlewis

Location (City and/or State)
MALMESBURY
Hi guys, my horsefield tortoise, who is 2 years old called Cleopatra has just woken up after only being hibernated for 19 days. She managed to get out of the mini fridge even though the tempera i tire was right and i had prepared her correctly and now i’m not sure what to do. Do i need to put her back to sleep or should i keep her awake and should i feed her or do anything? This is the first time she’s been hibernated and i’m really worried

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hi guys, my horsefield tortoise, who is 2 years old called Cleopatra has just woken up after only being hibernated for 19 days. She managed to get out of the mini fridge even though the tempera i tire was right and i had prepared her correctly and now i’m not sure what to do. Do i need to put her back to sleep or should i keep her awake and should i feed her or do anything? This is the first time she’s been hibernated and i’m really worried
Hello and welcome. Our Hermannn's tortoise (very like a horsefield) has never been hibernated, and he is fine - you don't actually have to hibernate them, and if you decide to keep her awake, just feed her and care for her as before - but if you prefer to hibernate her, put her back in the fridge - but check the temperature, and also the fastening of the fridge door ! Don't panic !
What did you put her in when she was in the fridge?
Angie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What is the temperature in the fridge? Horsfield torts need it very cold. Just a little above freezing.

Your tortoise should be in an escape proof plastic box. And I would put it back if it hasn't eaten.