HELP NEED ADVICE

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area
Hello,

CAUTION!! these are NOT MINE!...I want to adopt them, hoever I am skeptical!!

I went to see these turtles, mind you they are not living in a good environment!...They are in 125 gallon tank, with large pebbles and A RUNNING WATER PUMP MAKING IT A WATERFALL!!. they have no plants or a substrate they can dig in. they have overgrown beaks, and the one 3 toed has a shut eye. I dont want to adopt them if im going to adopt a problem!!...

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
What a bad way to live... The beak is a easy fix, may need a vet to check out that eye and just to give them a good look over but they don't look to bad for the way they were living....

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
dmarcus said:
What a bad way to live... The beak is a easy fix, may need a vet to check out that eye and just to give them a good look over but they don't look to bad for the way they were living....

Yeah..I dont know how much truth was coming from the lady, she also said that the 3 toed had a hole in her side from someone drilling it for a leash!!....i can take them to a vet fo r a good once over...I have never trimmed a beak before, my 3 toed boxy has never needed that, she is very well taken care of.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
dmarcus said:
Is she asking a lot for them?

No..she is asking $100.00 for both turtles and the 125 gallon tank...not a bad deal!!..but of course i would make it more like a forest floor than a pebble stream like she has it...

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I think the tank alone is worth more than that so It's not a bad deal, I would do and and see how the vet goes...

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
The tank alone is worth the $100...I would go for it, if you have the money to get them to a Vet (which they need). The tank is fine if you keep them indoors for the Winter. It would be nice if they could go outside for the Summer...at least...The Three Toed looks to be old and I would guess WC. She probably has them a while for the beaks to get that bad. All that water and no heat. What a mess. If you have the money for the Vet...GET THEM! The tank would be easy to fix, and that's a good price for a 125 gal. I hate seeing things like this!!

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
you should get them out of there!!
Poor babies need someone to care for them and OBVIOUSLY she is not!
I agree with the others posting here....they dont look that bad all things considered.

Not sure if this helps or not but ......I would take them with out looking back!! :)

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Yes!!

I am going to get them outta there!...I take my turtle outside often on sunny days and let her roam around....I will get these turtles to a vet for a check up and fix their indoor habitat so they can feel like they are in the forest....I am super excited to re-home these turtles with me....I need to sex the 3 toed however because "she" is quite large for a female...the eyes were brown tho...I didnt pic them up since i dint want to impose on them just meeting me....

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
YES! Go for it! Post some pictures if you get them. You can make a great vivarium with the 125 gal.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I agree with what everyone says, "If you can afford the vet bill now, get them". The tank if used correctly like you have already stated, is a good start to get them back on the road to recovery and a new life with you. I think torts and turtles are much better when they are in the hands of people who can care for them.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
by what i can tell its a female three toed i have one penelope whom has a beautiful olive shell like this one very domed and coloful, so at this point im thinking female but more pictures of the "rescues" will be needed,
honestly though how hard is it to google the needs of there animal..... i wouldnt be surprised if these guys had some sort of shell rot on there plastron... im glad your getting them : ) i just had a instance like this come up but the lady sold them out from under me for more money
cant wait to see the turn around. let us know when you get them and what the vet says about the eye : (

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
the 3 toed boxy is the one with the closed eye..i wanted ppl to see that its closed...however i noticed it looked like the eyeball was moving so maybe its just a product of the environment and it could heal..i will take her to a vet to make sure she has the care she needs......

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
turtlemann2 said:
all she needs is a bit of love from a caring home such as yours : )
[/quote

Oh thank you! :D...when I bring them home...i'll post "after pics"...soon they will be on the road to recovery...and new names :p

Status
Not open for further replies.