Help, new tortoise mama

Kazz

Location (City and/or State)
HARTLEPOOL
Hello
I got a baby horsfield tortoise this year. He seemed to settle in ok. My only concern is the sleeping. Although this is only from last week. He is going nearly 2 days in his bed/den. I have been waking him up. He then just stays in the same spot for ages before burying in a corner. He is a good little eater ( i think ) then after 2 or 3 hours he takes himself back to bed. Do you think its because of weather changes this last week. He always has a bowl of water that he sometimes gets into, or i put him in for a soak. He's only about 2 inches big. Such a lovely lil guy. Any idea or advice would be good. ?

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
It is normal for hatchlings to hide a lot. Also depending on how long ago you got him he maybe hiding because he’s just getting adjusted to his new territory. Another possibility is that it’s not bright enough or warm enough. What are the temperatures in the enclosure? Do you have a uvb light? Is is a long tube bulb or coil bulb? If it’s a coil he could be hiding from that because those are harmful to their eyes. If you post a photo of the enclosure we might be able to spot the problem quicker.

Kazz

HARTLEPOOL
Hi
Thank you.
Gets upto 30 degrees in there. He has a long uvb tube and a basking light.

Attachments

• 20200629_192842.jpg
    20200629_192842.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 20200629_192853.jpg
    20200629_192853.jpg
    987.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200629_192915.jpg
    20200629_192915.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 10
  • 20200629_192926.jpg
    20200629_192926.jpg
    537.2 KB · Views: 10

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
30 is too low. It needs to get up to 36-37 directly under the basking bulb.

Give this a read through:

Kazz

HARTLEPOOL
Hi Tom
Many thanks for your reply. I'm horrified that the basking light has been too low. I have paid a lot of money for all the equipment etc, and the supplier wasn't very helpful with his information.
I feed him a varied diet but he seems partial to cucumber, rocket and dock leaves. I also have just started to get dry grass, flower edible bedding. Fresh water every day. He bathes every day and often poops whilst doing so !!!
Will you let me know if I am doing the right thing. He is such a lil cutie. I talk to him and he lifts his head and looks at me, i give him head and chin tickles. Thanks ..... Kazz

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Too much cucumber will give him diarrhea. It’s ok as an occasional treat. I’d also stop feeding him dock. It’s not poisonous but could cause problems if he eats it often even as a treat. Russian torts aren’t grass eaters so he isn’t likely to go for the dry grass.

Tom has a great list of foods. I can’t seem to find it.
@Tom could you provide your list?

Another resource is a website called tortoisetable.uk
But it is very conservative and often lists things as “feed in moderation” when they are perfectly safe. Even some of the things they say not to feed are ok but it was very helpful for me when I was new to torts because it has great photos and can give you new food ideas.