*HELP* Not sure what's going on!

Kdiggs01

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Hey there.
I recently got a Russian Tortoise from a co worker whose kids weren't paying her any attention anymore. My husband and I think the world of her. But today while giving her a soak I touched the bottom part of her shell and she appeared to "twitch".Her head and right leg moved in unison. I then noticed a small dent ( not sure if that is a good word for it) I am totally shaken by what happened and I wasn't sure what to do!

Help!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Usually when they are wanting to get away when being held they will move their legs and feet in a flailing kinda way.
The dent, can you get a picture of it and where is it?

Kdiggs01

Illinois
It's I right there in the top right of here shell. She is just about 6 inches from edge to edge. And I can't get a video of her doing it I don't think but I'm afraid I was hurting her! And no the area doesn't feel soft to the touch.

Kdiggs01

Illinois
I'm with @wellington (Barb)
You probably aren't hurting him/her.
They don't like being handled.
The spot isn't anything I'd be worried about.
Is there a dog around? We're sure that isn't a tooth mark?

So she shouldn't be able to feel anything? L
I'm with @wellington (Barb)
You probably aren't hurting him/her.
They don't like being handled.
The spot isn't anything I'd be worried about.
Is there a dog around? We're sure that isn't a tooth mark?

There was a dog in her previous house hold. We only have cats. And she is watched while roaming with them around. But they don't pay her much attention

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Cats don't pose too much of a danger for a tortoise of size. Dogs can't resist chewing on them, however.
It's generally considered a no-no to ever let a tortoise roam around on the floor of a house.
Lots of ways to get hurt.

Kdiggs01

Illinois
Yep! She is a good eater. And very active. It's is half like when you rub a dog's belly and thier legs scratch with you? But if the puncture isnt anything that looks abnormal than I should be ok? She should be ok?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The video was too short. I think she is doing the moving I was talking about. The little dent I wouldn't worry about either. I think all looks and sounds fine.

whisper

5 Year Member
SE FL
My red foots do something similar when I’m holding them and they want me to put them down. It’s like they’re angry. Maybe she’s being grouchy.