HELP PLEASE (yellow bumps)

mastershake

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
using ammonia pretty strong will be okay to sanitize with also. other then maybe some boost of energy and some food soaking the in the carrot will not help this condition just being honest.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
using ammonia pretty strong will be okay to sanitize with also. other then maybe some boost of energy and some food soaking the in the carrot will not help this condition just being honest.
I'm sorry you feel that way. I have used the soaks many times over the years, and have proven that the soaks help. I operated a special needs turtle and tortoise rescue until recently and I have seen many chelonia who have not been eating for a period of time make a turn complete around. Just lately I brought 2 box turtles back from my sister's in Calif. She told me that the ornata was a rescue attacked by a dog and hadn't eaten for weeks. So I brought her in, started soaking her, and a week later, in my home in the PNW, she started eating. It's a simple thing that helps rehab the animal. I have seen it work time and again. You haven't a clue whether it works or not, and it would be a damn shame if some newbies hatchling dies because you say the carrot soaks don't work. Do they work every time? No, but what are ya gonna lose by trying???
100_5244.JPG

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I would do the carrot soak. @KarenSoCal possibly can give you exact “recipe”, also @shawnateerow has been dealing with this and might be able to provide some diet.

@shawnateerow has already offered suggestions re'carrot soaks and syringe feedings in post # 21. She has been doing these for a while now.
I'll let her continue to advise the OP.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
@shawnateerow has already offered suggestions re'carrot soaks and syringe feedings in post # 21. She has been doing these for a while now.
I'll let her continue to advise the OP.

Ah must of miss that - sorry.
Only suggested it because I seen that tort has closed eyes and figured it might help with hydration a little bit and at least some nutrients.

Didn’t mean to step on any toes ❤️

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
(since someone asked me in a message) we use a 50/50 mix of pedialyte and water here for this type of soaking when its needed but as said this is not going to do anything for these bumps at all.

shawnateerow

Maurice
Thank you all for the help, god willingly he will get better??

Praying for you both..each and every day is a struggle and a fight but I'm willing to give it everything as long as I can. Try to get the carrot and green baby foods and dropper as soon as possible. It will not heal the bumps, but it will help him to feel better, and give him a fighting chance. The longer he doesn't eat, the weaker his body will be to fight against the bumps

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
O
Ah must of miss that - sorry.
Only suggested it because I seen that tort has closed eyes and figured it might help with hydration a little bit and at least some nutrients.

Didn’t mean to step on any toes ❤
Oh crap, you didn't step on any toes, we can all give advice if we want, As an example mastershake has disagreed with me on the carrot soaks, politely and respectfully. The soaks are not to improve those yellow spots, that sounds bacterial, the soaks are good supportive care. Example, yellow spots, but not eating, soak. And pedialyte used in a soak is also good supportive care.

GMDVM

Ionia New York
Those look like granulomatous abscesses. Many infections in reptile become encased and firm which makes them difficult to to treat. Also oral antibiotics are formulated based on warm blooded animals. That’s why injectable antibiotics are used for reptiles and based on diagnostics We need cultures and sensitivities - both aerobic and anaerobic. Cultures could take many days to grow. Cytology would be good to do also in case it’s a fungal issue. In the meantime we have to keep out little patient alive with supportive care. Fluids , electrolytes, environmental, and nutritional support are very important key elements

Northampton
Apparently there’s a massive infection going round which is highly infectious! Keep them away from all reptiles is what I’ve been told/seen

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Get rid of all the plastic and use aspen sub. You are keeping them too moist.

We do not recommend aspen as a suitable substrate for tortoises because it is so drying and will not hold water.

Baby tortoises need high humidity to aid in hydration and prevent pyramiding.

Humidity has nothing to do with these yellow lesions. They are bacterial and caused by, at this time, an unidentified pathogen.

Here is a copy of our care sheet for sullies. Read it to learn how most members raise babies. If you'd like to discuss it, please start a new thread. We'd be happy to talk about it.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
We do not recommend aspen as a suitable substrate for tortoises because it is so drying and will not hold water.

Baby tortoises need high humidity to aid in hydration and prevent pyramiding.

Humidity has nothing to do with these yellow lesions. They are bacterial and caused by, at this time, an unidentified pathogen.

Here is a copy of our care sheet for sullies. Read it to learn how most members raise babies. If you'd like to discuss it, please start a new thread. We'd be happy to talk about it.

not necc unidentified but more testing is being done to make sure each case is the same thing

shawnateerow

Maurice
Have you tried the carrot soaks yet? And dropper with baby food??? Curious if your little guy is going for it?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
@Tom isn’t this the yellow bumps y’all have been seeing with hatchlings lately. Is this that yellow fungus? Poor baby. I’m no expert and I don’t want to tell you wrong but this guy may not make it for very much longer.

I'm not Tom, but yes, these are the yellow bumps we've been seeing. The bumps are not fungal....they are bacterial. And everything that can be done for the baby is being done.

N33dh3lp

San Antonio
My tortoise passed away about two days ago:( my other one is showing a similar symptom of the other he’s sleeping ALOT this is scaring me and his shell will indent when he lays on something is this normal?