HELP PLEASE (yellow bumps)

malissa

Location (City and/or State)
Flora Vista
No because I'm not home... It's a huge flower pot with grass and flowers, had a soaking bath and a flat rock, we use dirt and the hay stuff from Amazon as her bedding, she has abhalf wood shade spot with moss wet down for humidity that she lives to burrow in, she is very safe she has a chicken wire fence fir protection
And sorry I'm typing on my little phone and can't see very well the small lettering

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Besides the multiplesoakings, I bumped u I my little ones temp to 95 consistently and I got her baytril injections every day for a week and she's now much more active instead of sleeping all day long

And I am so so sorry about the little one you lost I lost one 2 months ago and its pretty devastating? prayers and love❤
Baytril is caustic like bleach and causes burns at the injection site. It should never be injected into a tortoise. There are antibiotics in that family that don't burn them from the inside, if antibiotics are needed.

shawnateerow

Maurice
Baytril is caustic like bleach and causes burns at the injection site. It should never be injected into a tortoise. There are antibiotics in that family that don't burn them from the inside, if antibiotics are needed.

Ugh I didn't know that??? im glad I stopped them. Which one is best @Tom ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ugh I didn't know that??? im glad I stopped them. Which one is best @Tom ?
Ceftazidime, aka Fortaz, is what my exotic vet friends recommend. It works just as well as Baytril but without the burn.

Antibiotics are very hard on torts. Sometimes they are needed, but best avoided when possible, and when they are used, there needs to be a good reason. We don't know what is infecting your tortoise, and so we can't know if Baytril or Fortaz will even be an effective treatment.

shawnateerow

Maurice
Ceftazidime, aka Fortaz, is what my exotic vet friends recommend. It works just as well as Baytril but without the burn.

Antibiotics are very hard on torts. Sometimes they are needed, but best avoided when possible, and when they are used, there needs to be a good reason. We don't know what is infecting your tortoise, and so we can't know if Baytril or Fortaz will even be an effective treatment.

One of my other babies might have a respiratory infection.. I noticed a few nights ago watery eyes and a bit of a runny nose. I brought him in but the vet said watch him and hold off on antibiotics. At what point should I bring him back??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
One of my other babies might have a respiratory infection.. I noticed a few nights ago watery eyes and a bit of a runny nose. I brought him in but the vet said watch him and hold off on antibiotics. At what point should I bring him back??
I wouldn't waste any more time and money with a vet for a hatching. There is nothing they can do. Give the baby the best conditions possible, and it either makes it or it doesn't. Anything the vet does makes it less likely to survive.

When babies are started poorly, as most of them are, they often cannot be saved.

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CT New Haven.
Tortoise town really needs to stop the spead of this terrible outbreak.

malissa

Flora Vista
Tortoise town really needs to stop the spead of this terrible outbreak.
Cruz went to the Vet... He's going to do research, the numbs have went down quite a bit, Dr said keep doing what I'm doing, she took 3 carrot soaks in the days now just warm tap water soaks, she still isn't eating much I read to get her vegetable baby food??? Has anyone done this and syringe it in her mouth..

malissa

Flora Vista
Cruz went to the Vet... He's going to do research, the numbs have went down quite a bit, Dr said keep doing what I'm doing, she took 3 carrot soaks in the days now just warm tap water soaks, she still isn't eating much I read to get her vegetable baby food??? Has anyone done this and syringe it in her mouth..
(Bumps))

shawnateerow

Maurice

Yes and she loves it! Mix veg baby food with a little warm water. Hold in front on her and try to put a little drop on her mouth and wait. She should open right up?

Attachments

• 20200930_091849.jpg
    20200930_091849.jpg
    732.5 KB · Views: 4

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Well I am worried on what is happening with the bumps.
Yes we already know the tortoise town, underground reptiles, etc. are not a right place to get the tortoise from. Yes I got one from TT as well - I strongly believe that following Toms guide from before the tortoise arrived helped me with raising the little monster ??.
However we also seen the bumps on a tortoise from a reputable breeder.

I am starting to be concerned about things like the bark, moss whatever people are using.
Just my thinking.
Weird for sure.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio

work as well , on what ? that "what" makes a big difference , it works different .. recommend for what ????? do they know what type of infections they're treating ? you may tell someone they do , but not me ...........those two drugs are not similar , they work very differently .......... baytril will work on just about everything fortaz does , fortaz will not work on everything baytril does .......... probably why baytril is so widely used to this day .......... i read a paper one time that found , out of 179 captive tortoises tested , 83% of them tested positive for m. agassizii antibodies , there are 2 other mycoplasmas that infect turtles and tortoises i know of besides that one , and probably 4-5 others that infect reptiles that i don't doubt could affect turtles and tortoises ........meant in the nicest possible way , your medical advice , imo , sucks ....... in the short period of time i've been reading this board the number of people who have come here with sick animals , and disappeared from the board , i don't assume their animal got better , is pretty substantial ....... i've gotten turtles and tortoises from some pretty shady characters in the past , my absolute honest thought was if i got what i sent my money for and it was alive , i was 80% there and had a good chance ....... that was before i heard "there's nothing you can do " ........ bleach ????? reminds me of the internet rimadyl hysteria .......

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
if you do a 50% dilution with say injectable sterile water this almost does not happen. after we started doing this we have only ever had one time where it ended up creating a spot at the injection site. you have to inj a bit more liquid this way but it almost always at least for us keep the tissue damage away at the site. a really good vet friend told me to start doing this years ago and it works very well.