Help please!

Animallover!2

Location (City and/or State)
Pasco
Just recently I got a red foot tortoise online and had it shipped was suppose to arrive on a wednesday and ended up arriving on Thursday box was cold to the touch and so was the tortoise. I put him to soak for 15minutes and now he is foaming at the mouth and gasping for air from time to time and has eyes closed! What should be done??

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Just recently I got a red foot tortoise online and had it shipped was suppose to arrive on a wednesday and ended up arriving on Thursday box was cold to the touch and so was the tortoise. I put him to soak for 15minutes and now he is foaming at the mouth and gasping for air from time to time and has eyes closed! What should be done??
@ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Foaming at the mouth is usually overheating. Or he spent a lot of time upside down in shipping.
We have almost no helpful information.
What exactly are you doing for him?
Heating type and temperature.
Lighting. Humidity. Was he acting sick right out of the box?
Was he sent from Florida to Florida?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Need the answers ZEROPILOT is asking for before we can give any help.
Tell us everything you can think of that has to do worh the shipping and his care with you.

ryan57

PA
Just a thought and the experts will chime in soon. I have a 9 month old sulcata that ate a piece of food too large today, couldn't swallow easily and gave me the same scare. Something large stuck in the mouth, tried to get it out -w- my fingers and tweezers, peed, released urates, pooped, etc. as it was trying to escape me and head going fully in. I did the same thing... gave a soak and it was foaming at the mouth a bit and bubbles from the nose. 2 hours later, yawning and eating like normal. Who knows what it ate before shipping or as someone said, being upside down for an extended period.

Have you seen in the mouth? Is it unobstructed?

Animallover!2

Pasco
Foaming at the mouth is usually overheating. Or he spent a lot of time upside down in shipping.
I was told from the person that shipped him to me to soak him in like w
i had him shipped from Florida to Washington state. I was told by the person I purchased him from to soak him in lukewarm water for 15-20minutes which is what I had done and then after put him in his enclosure heating in his enclosure is 86 on the basking side. The box he came in he was slanted and he only had one eye open.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I was told from the person that shipped him to me to soak him in like w

i had him shipped from Florida to Washington state. I was told by the person I purchased him from to soak him in lukewarm water for 15-20minutes which is what I had done and then after put him in his enclosure heating in his enclosure is 86 on the basking side. The box he came in he was slanted and he only had one eye open.
I was trying to guess what temperatures he might've been exposed to during shipping.
Those heat packs don't last very long. That extra day was not good.
Keep him warm for the night. Lower 80s. In the dark. Let him rest and hopefully he'll show signs that he's going to make it in the morning.
I wouldn't even think about a cross country delivery of a live cold blooded animal

Animallover!2

Pasco
No heat pad? Or a heat pad that was no longer working?
Why was the shipping late?
Was that extra day the shippers fault?
No heat pad at all he was just in a container with a paper towel and within the box was styrofoam surrounding his little container he was in. Not sure why shipping was late he shipped them out using fedex.

Animallover!2

Pasco
shipped them out using fedex.

That's probably why.
I loathe them.

Has there been any updates
No still the same eyes closed and still foaming from mouth and from time to time opens mouth but doesn’t move much does move when I tickle his nose but other then that moves when he needs to open mouth.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am sorry about this and hope he can recover. Please keep him warm and quiet and good luck.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I am so sorry for your loss. Did you contact the seller?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
shipper screwed the pooch, this week is a no ship reptile week due to Cyber Monday, I'm sure if he shipped fedex and ship your reptile he knew this and did it anyway.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
That's awful for the tortoise and for you. I am very sorry. It's a shame.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I"m so sorry. Its awful how unfeeling some people are that these are living creatures