Help! (wanting Russian information)

robyn

hey all, i dont know if i can be on this site as i do not yet have my tortoise but i am looking for as much information as i can get on a horsefield or russian tortoise. any info would be appreciated. thankyouu :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
RE: Help!

*waves* Hi Robyn! Welcome. Owning a tortoise is NOT a requirement for being in here, so your fine. :) Have you read the section on the Russian tortoises, yet? What is it about these them that is attracting you? Might be easier for you to share your questions and concerns about caring for one.

robyn

i have read over it yes, gave me some good information. im just trying to see what other information i can get. every little helps :) one of my main questions (i dont know if this answer applies for all tortoises) is how often can you have the tortoise out of its vivarium?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Robyn:

Welcome to the Forum!

Here's a link to a good care sheet on Russian tortoises:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-80698.html

I don't believe in allowing a tortoise, any tortoise, free run of the house. There are many bad things on the floor to harm a tortoise, the least of which is he may get stepped on. They are territorial, and need to be allowed to have their own territory. A place where they know they are safe. A place where they know they can get food and water, and a nice hiding spot.

Once you allow a tortoise out of his territory, chances are pretty good that he won't be satisfied to stay in there any more. He'll continue to want out, scratching at the sides and digging in the corners.

robyn

Thankyouu for telling me that. I didn't know it would be harmful. :(

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
hey there! welcome to the forum!!

it's true, letting your pet wander on the ground is not a good idea. but once your tort is comfortable in his new home you can hold and handle him more. they really don't like to be held most of the time and to be honest, they are more of an pet that you watch instead of touch. some will tolerate it but i don't think any enjoy it. hand feeding is a good way to bond with a tortoise...being careful not to get bit :p and some like their head scratched.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
It all depends upon the situation. Many keepers take their Russians out to have a regular soaking. I also take mine out for a weighing. If the weather is warm and dry, I'll put mine in a carrier and move them to their outdoor pen for some sun.

I'll also pick them up and look them over if they're not acting normal. One of mine is a poor eater, so, I'll get him started by hand feeding and then he eats on his own, but never a large volume.

Each tortoise is different in behavior and personality. My poor eater is also the most aggressive when sighting another tort. For the females he's always in mating mindset and if he sees my other male he goes into attack mode, even though he is the smallest of all.

NicoleB26

5 Year Member
Rome, OH
Hi Robyn. I have to respectfully disagree with the post saying torts don't like to be touched. I have one who always comes over for a shell scratch when I open the enclosure door. He will sit there and let me scratch him as long as I am willing to :). He even leans into my hands during his scratches. Just depends on the tortoise. I do agree they don't like to be picked up and I don't let them run the house either but some do enjoy physical contact.

robyn

I guess I will have to see how my tortoise is! There all different I can see! thankyou all, all very good information :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Robyn and welcome to the TFO from AZ RT do better by them selves
And remember torts are like Lays chips
You cannt have just one !
But good luck and have a great day