Help! Worried about Rascals Shell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarkii224

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Clear Lake, TX
I noticed this morning that Rascals shell looks kind of like it's peeling? He's almost two months old, and I've had him for almost 3 weeks. He's enclosure has a humid hide box, and sphagnum moss mixed with mulch for his substrate. The humidity is between 70% and 90%, and the temperature is 75 to 80 at night, and up to 90 during the day. He gets about 30 min to an hour sun during the week, and several hours on the weekends. I soak him 2 to 3 times a day usually for about 10 min each time, and spray both him and his enclosure several times a day. He eats really good, a mixture of weeds, some grass, and zucchini and squash, and has regular bms. I'm really worried about the pealing on his shell. It only seems to be happening at the corners where three scutes come together on the sides of his shell. Hopefully someone can help out!

20130915_091210.jpg

20130915_091038.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Those are great pictures...very easy to see what you're talking about. If it were my tortoise, I wouldn't worry just yet, but I'd put something on it and wait and see...some type of lubricant, maybe even the dreaded "Vita Shell."

morloch

5 Year Member
Put some polysporin on. At least he can't lick it off.

sarkii224

5 Year Member
Clear Lake, TX
Thank you so much for the help! I'll try the polysporin since I can get that easily, and hopefully it works! I haven't noticed any changes in behavior, so hopefully it will clear up!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Have you been giving him calcium supplements?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you have a dog?

I can't tell form the pic, but it like like the scutes at the front of the carapace are uneven and possible chewed off. Is it an optical illusion from the pic? Can you take a pic from directly overhead?

You can soak two or three times if you want, but in most cases once is enough. Is it dry where you are? Does his enclosure have an open top?

sarkii224

5 Year Member
Clear Lake, TX
I do have two dogs, but they have never been close to him. At the front of his carapace it's almost like a crease, and it's been like that since we got him. The enclosure has a lid and I keep it half open half closed. Inside his hide it's always above 80% humidity, but the uncovered side can drop down to 60%. I live in Houston, TX, so it's pretty humid here. I haven't given him any calcium supplements. Is there a specific brand that I should use?

Blgreek08

5 Year Member
Beaver Falls, Pa
Looks like growth to me. I see that on my redfoots occasionally and it's when they get noticeably bigger

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.