Hermann tortoise

Jessli

Location (City and/or State)
Malta
Hi guys, first time posting here :) I have 2 Hermann tortoises 1 female and 1 male she is about 10 years old and he is about 8 years old had them since they were little :) the female tortoise laid eggs last year for the very first time I left them in the soil were she laid them but nothing happened. I did a lot of research this year I'm more prepared, 3 weeks ago she laid 3 eggs (they are in an incubator 1 is def fertile as i see the embryo inside when candling second egg it started chalking third egg no sign of anything happening so far). For the last 5 days the female tortoise has been pacing and digging nests everyday but not laying eggs is this normal? is there something I can do? the 2 times that she laid eggs she dug 1 hole and that's it, all this digging is new to me

TaraMaiden

Nottinghamshire UK
Female tortoises retain sperm for anything up to 4 years, so a clutch born in a year, may not have been fertilised the same year. Be careful not to allow the eggs to turn... they have to incubate at the same angle all the time.... (You may already know this....) Female tortoises will often dig several pits before deciding which pit to use to lay...

Jessli

Malta
my male is constantly mating with her :) yes the eggs are in an incubator with temp at 31.7 degrees and humidity around 73%. Yes I have read that they dig several nests but how long is it normal, she's been doing this since Monday so 5 days, when should I be concerned about take her to a vet regarding egg bound? she keeps digging every morning and every evening

TaraMaiden

Nottinghamshire UK
In your shoes I would wait a week, and see if she lays. The fact that she has successfully laid different clutches, makes me think she's just biding her time, if during next week, she doesn't lay, advise the vet, and make an appointment...

Jessli

Malta
ok thank you :) would be nice if she would lay 2 clutches in a year / season :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
my male is constantly mating with her :) yes the eggs are in an incubator with temp at 31.7 degrees and humidity around 73%. Yes I have read that they dig several nests but how long is it normal, she's been doing this since Monday so 5 days, when should I be concerned about take her to a vet regarding egg bound? she keeps digging every morning and every evening
I don't know anything about egg laying but from what you've said here, it may be a good idea to separate your torts. It sounds as if your female has a pretty miserable existence constantly being harassed by your male. I hope they have a large enough space that she can escape him sometimes.
Even though they may have been together a long time, torts shouldn't be kept in pairs - it's very stressful for both whatever the sex or even if siblings. One becomes dominant and bullying behaviour starts at a young age. Signs of this are staring, following, very close contact and nudging (often mistaken for affection), hogging the food and mounting. It can becomes more aggressive with barging, tipping and even biting which can cause serious injury or even death.
Groups of torts works better if the gender mix is right but for now I'd give the female a good rest.

Jessli

Malta
Wanted to keep you posted last week my tortoise laid second clutch of 2 eggs didnt need to take her to the vet xD

zovick

10 Year Member!
Wanted to keep you posted last week my tortoise laid second clutch of 2 eggs didnt need to take her to the vet xD
Excellent news! Good luck with the incubation. Hopefully you will have some babies hatch from these two clutches this year.

Jessli

Malta
Thank you yes I see the embryo growing in 1 egg from first clutch and from the second clutch i see a little heartbeat in 1 egg so 2 out 5 so far the others have an orange redish colour when candled but I dont see an embryo :(