Hermans tortoise diet

Diane Berner

5 Year Member
I work at petsmart and try to make sure the tortoises at my store are taken care of as well as i can considering the limitations that there are at these type of places (pet stores). I have a red foot but right now we just got two small 4" hermans tortoises. What is a proper diet for them?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
The diet of Hermann's is leafy greens. They cannot digest sugars properly, so no fruit, tomato, bell pepper or carrot.

Ideally the greens are weeds like dandelion rather than supermarket greens

Rue

Canada
I'd buy the salad mixes..with arugula, radicchio, kale, etc. Maybe add in some watercress when you can. This is probably the easiest to buy and keep on hand and for other employees to use. Romaine is fine too. Then, if you can, bring weeds from home to add. Sprinkle ReptiCalcium with vitamin D3 twice a week. Variety is important.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
From your store's shelf, I'd suggest ZooMed's Grassland pellets. If they resist, you can use a small % of the pretty pets, and mix it up such that they eat the Grassland. These pellets should be somewhat moistened. Also, less favorable IMO is the Mazuri LS. Also should be moistened.

Rue

Canada
Mine won't eat the ZooMed. She spits it out. It is rather funny...and I am still trying...maybe one day.

Diane Berner

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the information. I will use it and pass it on to everyone so that when they're sold they get the proper care.

Rue

Canada
Once purchased..I hope the owners are up to providing the best care. I looked at the Petsmart care sheet...not that good...so if you can add to it that would be great. How much fresh produce can you buy? I know there are budgets and limits in place.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thanks for all the information. I will use it and pass it on to everyone so that when they're sold they get the proper care.
Can you advise any purchasers that they shouldn't live as a pair.

The same applies to any species of tort. They are solitary creatures. They don't want, need or particularly like company. They don't get lonely; another tort is competition for food and territory. Tortoise fights can be bloody, but they're also expert mental bullies.

You always have a dominant tort.. with a pair that translates into bully and victim

Reactions: Rue

Diane Berner

5 Year Member
I can afford to buy anything they need. Petsmart doesn't pay for this. I typically spend about 10.00 2 or 3 times a month for veggies for all the animals. I'll keep an eye to see if there is any fighting going on in the small cage they are in. I have already informed all my co-workers that tortoises don't like friends. We typically sell the russians so I know that this is true.