Herpstat Probes

orgetorix

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange, CA
Hello all, I just purchased a Herpstat 4 and would like some ideas on where/how to install the probes. I'm trying to make sure the installation looks clean and that there aren't wires running everywhere.

To start, how and where are probes typically placed? I'm thinking of using it to control my RHP for general temp as well as perhaps one or both of my basking spots. Beyond that, perhaps working on something with humidity.

As always, thanks is advance for all your help.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings

You basically want your probe to be at the coolest end of your enclosure, away from a CHE or RHP and kind of dangling down (not buried in the substrate or laying on the enclosure floor). If you place the probe in the cool end and say set your thermostat at 80, you will know that the entire enclosure is at a minimum of 80 and probably warmer.

I have both a Kane heat mat and RHP connected via a thermostat. The heat sources are far left 8n our Sully's night box, but the thermostat probe is far right, hanging about half way down (in a two foot high nightbox).

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
I also run herpstats - I clamp the probe to the side of the enclosure, with a small metal cable clamp, away from heat and light sources, about 2" above the substrate.