Hey guys! My names Andy and in two days a childhood dream is about to become a reality!

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
> it’s a simple tort table 2x4ft 13in depth
It needs to be covered with something like a greenhouse top to keep humidity and temperatures in the recommended range.

> I have a 24in t5 ho Arcadia pro 12% d3 UVB strip that will be hanging from 550 paracord 12 in above shell height in the enclosure likely starting on the cool side going in I was thinking.

12 inches is too low, these lamps are usually mounted at 18 inches or so.

> Heat will be a 100w uva repti zoo intense basking spot
This looks like a spot bulb. However, you need a flood bulb for the basking zone (like Arcadia Solar Basking Floodlight). 65-75W are usually fine, but you may try a 100W if you hang it high enough.

> I was going to add that moss for humidity
Don't use it. In a closed chamber you'll get enough humidity just through evaporation from wet substrate.

> Other than that current temps are 79F 69% Humidity in the current room (living room) which is where this baby will be.
Room parameters aren't really relevant to environment in the enclosure. Due to higher temperatures because of heating and lightning humidity will be much lower.

> I also have a CHE 150w which should’ve been a 100w as a backup for ambient)
Be sure to run CHE on thermostat, just in case.

> dusted with calcium maybe x3 week
Once a week a small pinch of calcium powder is enought, just to even out possible deficiences. You can find calcium rich foods in the grocery store too.

You can also get Mazuri 5M21 pellets and give them once a week as a supplement. Also, you can try Mazuri LS or ZooMed Grassland for the same purpose, but tortoises often refuse to eat them despite their better content.

Orcsloot

Corpus Christi, Texas
> it’s a simple tort table 2x4ft 13in depth
It needs to be covered with something like a greenhouse top to keep humidity and temperatures in the recommended range.

> I have a 24in t5 ho Arcadia pro 12% d3 UVB strip that will be hanging from 550 paracord 12 in above shell height in the enclosure likely starting on the cool side going in I was thinking.

12 inches is too low, these lamps are usually mounted at 18 inches or so.

> Heat will be a 100w uva repti zoo intense basking spot
This looks like a spot bulb. However, you need a flood bulb for the basking zone (like Arcadia Solar Basking Floodlight). 65-75W are usually fine, but you may try a 100W if you hang it high enough.

> I was going to add that moss for humidity
Don't use it. In a closed chamber you'll get enough humidity just through evaporation from wet substrate.

> Other than that current temps are 79F 69% Humidity in the current room (living room) which is where this baby will be.
Room parameters aren't really relevant to environment in the enclosure. Due to higher temperatures because of heating and lightning humidity will be much lower.

> I also have a CHE 150w which should’ve been a 100w as a backup for ambient)
Be sure to run CHE on thermostat, just in case.

> dusted with calcium maybe x3 week
Once a week a small pinch of calcium powder is enought, just to even out possible deficiences. You can find calcium rich foods in the grocery store too.

You can also get Mazuri 5M21 pellets and give them once a week as a supplement. Also, you can try Mazuri LS or ZooMed Grassland for the same purpose, but tortoises often refuse to eat them despite their better content.
I’ll be sure to make those changes when I set it up appreciate the tips, I’m gonna look into that new bulb asap and I’ll be building a lid tommorow I’m trying to think how I can have that uvb reach the tort if it’s 18in high I guess putting a metal screen over but I hear that lowers the efficiency?

Ohh attached is a lid example is that what you mean then wire the uvb on the lid? I could probably mount a handle to lift it to ooooh!

What’s your opinion on spreading that testudo seed mix like the attached pic shows in the substrate? Anything I should be aware of if I do it? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5530.png
    IMG_5530.png
    143.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5531.png
    IMG_5531.png
    193.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5534.png
    IMG_5534.png
    149.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I’ll be sure to make those changes when I set it up appreciate the tips, I’m gonna look into that new bulb asap and I’ll be building a lid tommorow I’m trying to think how I can have that uvb reach the tort if it’s 18in high I guess putting a metal screen over but I hear that lowers the efficiency?

Ohh attached is a lid example is that what you mean then wire the uvb on the lid? I could probably mount a handle to lift it to ooooh!

What’s your opinion on spreading that testudo seed mix like the attached pic shows in the substrate? Anything I should be aware of if I do it? Thanks!

This lid is an expensive one. A simple greenhouse top will work too. Check this thread, to get an idea: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/couple-inexpensive-closed-chamber-ideas.211542/

And then you can use the frame to hang lights and heating.

Spreading seeds in the coco coir wouldn't work very good - coir is low in nutrients. And then you'll have plant roots left in the substrate, which start to mold or rot. Plant the seeds in the soil outdoors or in the planter box at home and feed the fresh clippings.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...I’ll stick to potted plants if I introduce live plants or stick to fake ones...
They will eat fake plants. Be careful with that.

Oh okay I gotcha, Tom your a wealth of knowledge man thank you! What do you personally recommend to start growing if I was to start a garden up?
Hibiscus, lavatera, grape vines and mulberry trees for the leaves, Testudo seed mix from tortoisesupply.com, spineless opuntia... The list of good easy-to-grow plants is endless... Scavenge local weeds too. Learn the right ones, and look for safe areas to get them from.

And what would you recommend I leave in the tank if any and how tall of a potted plant? Can they climb in it? Or find a way to eat that dirt somehow?
Pothos or spider plants are commonly used good ones. Use a pot too tall for the tortoise to reach, and he or she can nibble on or hide under the over growth.

If I use the Scott’s in a little pot and introduce in the enclosure is there risk of infestation or parasites from the soil?
Springtails and phoned flies will come from the surrounding environment and colonize any sort of warm damp area. This is inevitable. I just ignore them. They are harmless detrivores and they are working to keep the are clean. What's funny is that while some people are going to grab lengths to get rid of these "pests", other people are buying them to intentionally introduce them into their "bio-active" reptile enclosures. I find that amusing.

Parasites from the potting soil really are not an issue.

I will try and attach a image of the build it’s a simple tort table 2x4ft 13in depth and I’m going to just do coco coir and cypress mulch I’m putting a clay plate thing (forget the name of it) it sits under pots) and that will be the water dish buried a little of course.
2x4 is going to be too small for a year old marginata, and it will be difficult to maintain the necessary heat and humidity with an open top. You need a large closed chamber. I realize that it is humid outside where you live, but it won't be humid indoors in an open topped tortoise table with heat lamps. Your substrate and plant saucers will work great. I prefer a real closed chamber made of expanded PVC, but you can put one of those portable plastic greenhouse tents over just about any enclosure and make it work.

I’ll be getting another for food and having it on the cool side, I have a 24in t5 ho Arcadia pro 12% d3 UVB strip that will be hanging from 550 paracord 12 in above shell height in the enclosure likely starting on the cool side going in I was thinking.
The 12% HO tubes need to be around 18-20 inches above the tortoise. Only a meter in YOUR enclosure can verify this, but that is what I have found with my meter and my 12% bulbs over the years. The UV tube needs tube near the heat lamp. Their skin needs to be warm for the UV rays to work their magic, and having the heat and UV near each other more closely simulates the sun.

Heat will be a 100w uva repti zoo intense basking spot which I’m hoping won’t get to hot but I also bought a heat gun just for this. I’ll have a thermometer on each side displaying temp and humidity. (I also have a CHE 150w which should’ve been a 100w as a backup for ambient)
Use a flood bulb, not a spot bulb, and don't use anything labeled "intense". Intense spot bulbs will cause pyramiding. Have a flat rock under the basking bulb and check the temperature by laying a digital thermometer on its back directly under the heat lamp and letting it cook for an hour or more. Adjust the height or wattage of the bulb to get it near 95-100 degrees.

The 150 watt CHE will be fine as it will be controlled by a thermostat so it doesn't over heat the enclosure.

I was going to add that moss for humidity but now think I won’t due to conflicting things I’ve read. I don’t feel the need nor purpose to take any unnecessary risk. (Saphagnum moss)

Other than that current temps are 79F 69% Humidity in the current room (living room) which is where this baby will be.
Do not use moss. It will be eaten and it can cause impaction.

Room temperature and humidity are not necessarily going to be the same as inside your heated enclosure. It will be much drier in the enclosure with all the electric heat, and the open top simply allows the heat and humidity to drift up into the room. Trying to heat and humidify an open toped enclosure is like trying to heat your house with no roof on it. It doesn't work. You need to contain the warmth and humidity.

I plan to soak daily to and build a outside enclosure for outside sun exposure for at least a couple hours then back in the enclosure I was thinking try to give as much time outside but again heard different things so idk quite yet..
An hour of ACCESS to sunshine in a safe outdoor enclosure per inch of tortoise is a good rule of thumb. In your humid climate, and with a baby that is over a year old, you are probably safe to double this. It won't be long before your little one can live outside full time with a good cage type enclosure and a heated shelter for night and cold winter days.

Diet I plan to order that dried stuff the dude will makes on here and get a garden setup for home grown tort food meantime it’s gonna be grocery store visits sadly dusted with calcium maybe x3 week? Again heard conflicting things on this and would appreciate any tips where I can get em. I’ll have to re read Tom’s guide again pretty sure he recommends x3 week dusting or I picked it up off YouTube or somethin..

No fruit at all. And I’m gonna minimize the handling the first week. Opinions comments yall? Please don’t hold back I seek to learn and grow!
Calcium two times per week is generally enough. If you are able to find good weeds and leaves, you can go even less. Dried leaf options from Kapidolofarms.com (Will), are an EXCELLENT ay to add variety, nutrition and fiber to grocery store greens. Read the guide again for more food tips, and stay off of YT for tortoise advice. Almost all of it is wrong and it will confuse the heck out of you. I don't agree with the substrate info and a few other minor details, but most of the Garden State info is good.

Orcsloot

Corpus Christi, Texas
Alright guys he arrived safely this morning!! and is currently burrowed in a 39in x 20in tub he’s got a few inches of substrate there and he’s on the cool side temps are 85F 80% humidity and hot side I’m still messing with but readings are 90F 63% humidity.

I’m waiting for the tort enclosure to arrive and I’ll have it enclosed by tonight so far the biggest challenge is these temps I need to order a thermostat to regulate that hot side forsure so I’m using a temp gun and watching closely in the meantime.

Mounted the uvb 18in up from shell height. The fella is very active or was when I got him first out! I immediately put him in warm water and he came to life running around and slurping up water :)

Recently he took his first few bites of butter lettuce I’m trying to kinda leave him be until things get settled but attached is a pic of this kinda rough temp build he’s hanging out in right now.

He is super friendly and social to he took a liking to my grandmother in seconds haha must of thought she was his momma idk he was stretching his neck out looking up at her lol and wanted to keep running up to her when givin the chance haha

He’s to precious and I say he because I’m 90% sure he’s a male he has that short fat tail and just has a personality about him that I’d chop up to a male kinda demeanor but I’m not a 100%

Looking forward to getting this 2x4 built though and really looking forward to expanding it to at least a 4x6 before long or bigger.

I’ll post a pic of his setup once I get it all well set up lol right now he’s chillin in a temp home and I don’t want to share that it looks bad right now xD

Attachments

• IMG_5554.png
    IMG_5554.png
    839.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5555.png
    IMG_5555.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 2

Orcsloot

Corpus Christi, Texas
Alright guys he arrived safely this morning!! and is currently burrowed in a 39in x 20in tub he’s got a few inches of substrate there and he’s on the cool side temps are 85F 80% humidity and hot side I’m still messing with but readings are 90F 63% humidity.

I’m waiting for the tort enclosure to arrive and I’ll have it enclosed by tonight so far the biggest challenge is these temps I need to order a thermostat to regulate that hot side forsure so I’m using a temp gun and watching closely in the meantime.

Mounted the uvb 18in up from shell height. The fella is very active or was when I got him first out! I immediately put him in warm water and he came to life running around and slurping up water :)

Recently he took his first few bites of butter lettuce I’m trying to kinda leave him be until things get settled but attached is a pic of this kinda rough temp build he’s hanging out in right now.

He is super friendly and social to he took a liking to my grandmother in seconds haha must of thought she was his momma idk he was stretching his neck out looking up at her lol and wanted to keep running up to her when givin the chance haha

He’s to precious and I say he because I’m 90% sure he’s a male he has that short fat tail and just has a personality about him that I’d chop up to a male kinda demeanor but I’m not a 100%

Looking forward to getting this 2x4 built though and really looking forward to expanding it to at least a 4x6 before long or bigger.

I’ll post a pic of his setup once I get it all well set up lol right now he’s chillin in a temp home and I don’t want to share that it looks bad right now xD
Here’s the temp setup fellas I can’t hold out on yall close ups are of temps currently. Can’t stress it enough this is temporary any minute I should be getting the tort table in the mail!

Attachments

• IMG_5560.jpeg
    IMG_5560.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5559.jpeg
    IMG_5559.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5558.jpeg
    IMG_5558.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5557.jpeg
    IMG_5557.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1

Orcsloot

Corpus Christi, Texas
So exciting!!!! I hope arrival goes smoothly and can't wait for updates!
Everything did go smoothly check it out :) fellas chillin in a temp setup right now till his table gets here later today but very happy and healthy and insanely cute little fella it’s taking everything in me not to walk back over and just stare at his shell as he sleeps lmao

Attachments

• IMG_5557.jpeg
    IMG_5557.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5554.png
    IMG_5554.png
    839.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5555.png
    IMG_5555.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5556.jpeg
    IMG_5556.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5558.jpeg
    IMG_5558.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5559.jpeg
    IMG_5559.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5560.jpeg
    IMG_5560.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5562.jpeg
    IMG_5562.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2

Orcsloot

Corpus Christi, Texas
@Orcsloot ... Today's the big day. Good job getting it ready. Today your life changes, forever.
still getting used to this site yes i didnt sleep till 4am lol due to research on enclosure temps diet etc but mainly due to watching fed ex updates the fella left vegas and around 10 was just arriving in texas he was hand delivered by 11am very smooth process from start to finish through morph market.

Orcsloot

Corpus Christi, Texas
Well guys the tort table never came so he will be sleeping in this for the night I tried to spruce it up as much as I could he’s also sleeping a lot is that normal?

I assume he’s tired because of the flight but maybe he could be starting brumation?

I also settled on a name I present to you Cherub McWigglesWorth The Third!

Attachments

• IMG_5567.jpeg
    IMG_5567.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5568.jpeg
    IMG_5568.jpeg
    325.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5562.jpeg
    IMG_5562.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1

_The_Beast_

Canada
Well guys the tort table never came so he will be sleeping in this for the night I tried to spruce it up as much as I could he’s also sleeping a lot is that normal?

I assume he’s tired because of the flight but maybe he could be starting brumation?

I also settled on a name I present to you Cherub McWigglesWorth The Third!
Incredible name 😂 I really love it.

Torts don't love change, so it's normal for them to take a week or two to adjust to a new place. This can mean lots of burrowing, sleeping, and minimal food intake, but it should pick up as they settle in. Warm baths, good temps, and establishing a solid routine can help.

Is the enclosure still arriving and just late or did they cancel it completely on you?

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
still getting used to this site yes i didnt sleep till 4am lol due to research on enclosure temps diet etc but mainly due to watching fed ex updates the fella left vegas and around 10 was just arriving in texas he was hand delivered by 11am very smooth process from start to finish through morph market.
So as a person that lets my emotions (sometimes) take the lead, just remember he doesn't think like you do. It is so hard to to not think "O he's (whatever)" using human emotions. I'm not saying this as a downer just a reminder he thinks a lot differently than us Humans. Cherub McWigglesworth III is a very lucky tort, and Andy you are a fantastic tort owner. Congratulations and hold on ... your first tort is quite the ride.

Orcsloot

Corpus Christi, Texas
So as a person that lets my emotions (sometimes) take the lead, just remember he doesn't think like you do. It is so hard to to not think "O he's (whatever)" using human emotions. I'm not saying this as a downer just a reminder he thinks a lot differently than us Humans. Cherub McWigglesworth III is a very lucky tort, and Andy you are a fantastic tort owner. Congratulations and hold on ... your first tort is quite the ride.
Yeah I understand 100% and thanks I can’t wait to see what the future brings and have plans to build a 4ft x 8ft main indoor enclosure and a sizable outdoor asap :) he’s gonna be a spoiled rotten pampered little fella lol I’ve been learning about tortoise enrichment recently I’m gonna be switching his little home up daily and introduce new plants and stuff constantly to keep him on his toes! I’ll try and post pics throughout this journey :)
Incredible name 😂 I really love it.

Torts don't love change, so it's normal for them to take a week or two to adjust to a new place. This can mean lots of burrowing, sleeping, and minimal food intake, but it should pick up as they settle in. Warm baths, good temps, and establishing a solid routine can help.

Is the enclosure still arriving and just late or did they cancel it completely on you?
Yes! Finally the tort table will come today and I can’t wait! I also ordered proper flood bulbs thanks to Tom’s advice I didn’t know that spot bulbs they sell can cause pyramiding.

I will also be building a lid today for the tort table and have a buddy who’s a wiz with woodworking who will be custom cutting it so the lights fit in there perfectly and it has a proper seal to lock those temps, I’d like to get a piece of plexi glass or somethin to and have that bordered with a 1x2 or somethin and just liquid nailed down or somethin for the lid so I can look down and see the temps.

Some people say glass or see through doesn’t matter but my little fella is in a opaque like steelier tub right now and I’ve already seen him bumpin his head in the corner like he wants to push through it so I’m gonna just wall it up I reckon.

I’m also going to be starting a garden for various tort food and only keeping tortoise friendly plants in my home and around it from now on. This has actually added zest to my life and I’m diggin it! Kinda like cherub digs that hole! XD

Attachments

• IMG_5575.png
    IMG_5575.png
    233.4 KB · Views: 1

Orcsloot

Corpus Christi, Texas
Well guys Cherub got real active for a bit! Very pleased to see him eating even if it was just a little and to see him explore a bit I’m gonna try and attach the pics he’s a huge cilantro fan haha

I have a little bit of everything in there but he keeps going to that cilantro! The 2x4 is a bit smaller than I’d like defiantly going bigger asap. I love him to death though I got his new enclosure setup and this is what it’s lookin like defiantly not finished yet or even satisfied completely with the outcome.

I’d like to add rocks in there and more substrate maybe a proper hide on the hot side asap I’ll be replacing the basking light for the flood when it comes and also making that lid to lock in temps and humidity.

Next I really would like to get a outside enclosure going I feel so strongly this guy should be spending his day outside I soaked him this morning and all it took to get him riled up was exposing him to the outside and the sun.

Attachments

• IMG_5586.jpeg
    IMG_5586.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5589.png
    IMG_5589.png
    14.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5576.jpeg
    IMG_5576.jpeg
    833 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5587.jpeg
    IMG_5587.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5584.jpeg
    IMG_5584.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5583.jpeg
    IMG_5583.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5583.jpeg
    IMG_5583.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5584.jpeg
    IMG_5584.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5587.jpeg
    IMG_5587.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5588.png
    IMG_5588.png
    14.4 MB · Views: 1

Orcsloot

Corpus Christi, Texas
Thanks man that means a lot :) ! I just want the best for him and to spoil him rotten but not to obesity lmao xD what’s your baby look like do you have tortoises?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Well guys Cherub got real active for a bit! Very pleased to see him eating even if it was just a little and to see him explore a bit I’m gonna try and attach the pics he’s a huge cilantro fan haha

I have a little bit of everything in there but he keeps going to that cilantro! The 2x4 is a bit smaller than I’d like defiantly going bigger asap. I love him to death though I got his new enclosure setup and this is what it’s lookin like defiantly not finished yet or even satisfied completely with the outcome.

I’d like to add rocks in there and more substrate maybe a proper hide on the hot side asap I’ll be replacing the basking light for the flood when it comes and also making that lid to lock in temps and humidity.

Next I really would like to get a outside enclosure going I feel so strongly this guy should be spending his day outside I soaked him this morning and all it took to get him riled up was exposing him to the outside and the sun.
Looks really neat!

You may use a large shallow terracotta saucer as a pool/water dish. Same for the food dish, so he doesn't eat too much substrate with food.

At this age he should be outside from 15 minutes to one hour. And extend this time as he grows.

kit0407

Hong Kong
Thanks man that means a lot :) ! I just want the best for him and to spoil him rotten but not to obesity lmao xD what’s your baby look like do you have tortoises?
Your excitement reminds me of when I got my Tortoise two years ago🥰 At that time I even wake up at like 4am in the morning to see if his temperature is right haha