Hi Folks, I'm new to the forum

Niki68

Location (City and/or State)
Dudley (UK)
Hi all I have recently been given a Russian Toitoise whose previous owner could no longer take care of her, she has settled in well however when giving her a soak the other day I noticed her shell was split underneath between her front legs, I know that in her previous home she had been attacked by a dog she recieved treatment for this and as far as I know had recovered well. What I am wondering is if this split will heal? I was worried and have taped over it is this OK to do?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
A picture would help us.
I wouldn’t put tape on it if it’s not bleeding or in any danger, but we really need a picture to know for sure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I wouldn't tape it either. Tortoise do everything slow and that includes healing. Post a pic so we can see exactly what your talking about and then give proper advice.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome to the forum.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi, just wanted to welcome you from Texas:) pictures of the injured area would help. We also have excellent care sheets for Russians on here. Glad you have found us

Niki68

Dudley (UK)
Thank you all will post a pic of Maude"s injured shell tomorrow, I'm so glad we have found this community Maude is my first Toitoise and I want to give her the best care possible I think with your help that will be possible

Niki68

Dudley (UK)
Hi everyone I have tried to get a pic of Maude"s damaged shell but it's quite difficult to see, the crack is between her front legs sketch-1523969000450.png _20180417_134441.JPG

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That looks like a dog chewed off the front of the plastron. Nothing you can do about it now - it's old and healed. Will never grow back.

Niki68

Dudley (UK)
She roams free at the moment only going into her tank of an evening her tank is 3by 2 I thought this would be enough as she only uses it over night, I was wondering about uv lighting and if this is needed? At the moment she has a heat lamp at one end a pool (large water dish) to bathe and a covered area in there, but she comes out as said during the day and roams around both indoors and weather permitting out as well she has picked spots in the lounge where she likes to rest and where she goes to eat. Is this OK she is a very adventurous girl

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
She roams free at the moment only going into her tank of an evening her tank is 3by 2 I thought this would be enough as she only uses it over night, I was wondering about uv lighting and if this is needed? At the moment she has a heat lamp at one end a pool (large water dish) to bathe and a covered area in there, but she comes out as said during the day and roams around both indoors and weather permitting out as well she has picked spots in the lounge where she likes to rest and where she goes to eat. Is this OK she is a very adventurous girl

You should never let a tortoise roam indoors, if that’s what you’re saying. So much goes wrong, and it’s usually way too cold.
You need a UVB light if you can’t get her out for a few hours every week, year round.
If you have a large, at least 8x4 feet(preferably bigger) outdoor enclosure, then I would say the tank is fine at night.
But I repeat, DO NOT let her roam the floors.

Niki68

Dudley (UK)
That looks like a dog chewed off the front of the plastron. Nothing you can do about it now - it's old and healed. Will never grow back.
That's is exactly what happened to her and why she was rehomed with me, she did recieved treatment at the time but I'm not sure what was done for her, what worried me was that part where there is a crack is loose and I was concerned with water getting into places and causing shell rot which is why I taped over the crack, as I said it's really hard to see what I mean in the pics

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That white part that shown above your arrow is bone. The black part may have lost its blood supply and will eventually pop off, but I doubt there's any worry about water getting in there and causing a problem.

Last edited:

Niki68

Dudley (UK)
You should never let a tortoise roam indoors, if that’s what you’re saying. So much goes wrong, and it’s usually way too cold.
You need a UVB light if you can’t get her out for a few hours every week, year round.
If you have a large, at least 8x4 feet(preferably bigger) outdoor enclosure, then I would say the tank is fine at night.
But I repeat, DO NOT let her roam the floors.
Ohhhh now I feel terrible I have continued with what Maude's previous owner advised she does have a lage space outside bigger than that which we are sinking a hide into the ground for her, she goes out most days as this too was what Her previous owner did previously she had no tank at night and her last Ower used to put her in a storage box over night ?? Which is why I wondered about the uva lamp as she has never had one, do forgive I'm new to looking after Maude and didn't get chance to research care before having her

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ohhhh now I feel terrible I have continued with what Maude's previous owner advised she does have a lage space outside bigger than that which we are sinking a hide into the ground for her, she goes out most days as this too was what Her previous owner did previously she had no tank at night and her last Ower used to put her in a storage box over night ?? Which is why I wondered about the uva lamp as she has never had one, do forgive I'm new to looking after Maude and didn't get chance to research care before having her
It's perfectly fine to "store" a tortoise overnight in a cardboard box, as long as the tortoise is put into a larger enclosure/habitat during the day.

If the tortoise gets a couple hours of REAL sunshine a week, then you have no need of a UVB light - and it's UVB you want for indoor tortoises, not UVA.

Niki68

Dudley (UK)
It's perfectly fine to "store" a tortoise overnight in a cardboard box, as long as the tortoise is put into a larger enclosure/habitat during the day.

If the tortoise gets a couple hours of REAL sunshine a week, then you have no need of a UVB light - and it's UVB you want for indoor tortoises, not UVA.
Thank .You, I'm learning a lot on here I am so glad I joined