Hi guys!

rachelraines

Location (City and/or State)
ALABAMA
Hi everyone! My name is Rachel! I am currently on the hunt to adopt my first tortoise! Been a dream of mine since I was little, but now I have a house and a stable income and there’s no better time! 💚🐢

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Hi and welcome to the forum! Do you have a species in mind? How much space are you able to provide? Are you thinking about getting an adult or a hatchling?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome
Please read our different care sheets for each species you are interested in. This might help you decide on the exact kind you want.
Do you want to adopt an older one or buy a hatchling?
Be sure to not get a pair. Tortoises can not live in pairs.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, thank you! I have done done research on different breeds and am leaning towards a Burmese Star
Be sure to do your care research on this forum. So much of the info out there is wrong or outdated.
You won't likely find a Star to adopt and a hatchling will be easier to find than an adult most likely, but they are a beautiful tortoises. Btw they are species not breed.
@Tom raises one kind of Star as there are two.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello and welcome to the forum
Do yourself a giant favor and get your enclosure set up and dialed in with the correct equipment with what the species will need before purchasing the tortoise.
If you do that, you'll be farther along than most of us when we started out.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Do yourself a giant favor and get your enclosure set up and dialed in with the correct equipment with what the species will need before purchasing the tortoise.

Ain't that the truth. lol

rachelraines

ALABAMA

I have! Spent the whole weekend setting up the enclosure + the outdoor pin for monitored play time. Thanks so much for all the advice!

rachelraines

ALABAMA
I’m still trying to decide. I would love a Burmese Star but just a little scared because this is my first tortoise! I have an awesome closed enclosure from animal plastics. I’m actually waiting on a call from someone from the forum to chat with them to see if this would be the right species for me!

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I’m still trying to decide. I would love a Burmese Star but just a little scared because this is my first tortoise! I have an awesome closed enclosure from animal plastics. I’m actually waiting on a call from someone from the forum to chat with them to see if this would be the right species for me!
Thank you for doing your research first. It's a real breath of fresh air! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome! Let me just nudge you over that edge... 😁

Animal plastics enclosures are great. I have a bunch of them.

Here is the care info, in addition to the thread left by ZERPILOT:

We are all here to talk tortoises. Feel free to ask questions and join in the conversation! Many people apologize for "bothering" us with too many questions. Man, if we didn't want to talk about tortoises all day, we wouldn't be here! Your questions fuel the conversation, and everyone here wants to see you succeed and have a happy tortoise keeping experience. The only thing better than a Burmese star tortoise is a GROUP of Burmese star tortoises.