Hi new here box turtles are my focus

Adogowo

5 Year Member
I know a box turtle is not a tortoise but they are native to my SE Ohio region and I adore their personalities! I currently keep no pet turtles as I have yet to buy my land and set up a proper outdoor enclosure for them.

Really my end goal would be making an environment friendly for the wild turtles in my area to visit and forage in while I could see them occasionally.

I do enjoy keeping pets but have not been keeping anything for around 5 years except our yorkie named Scooby Doo. In the past I have had a Russian tortoise but gave him back after a few days of her wandering around the 4x4' enclosure digging almost non stop into the corners. I didn't have the time or expertise then to care for her correctly.

So I hope to be inspired here and to inspire others with innovative colabrative solutions to tortoise care. I like to fabricate things that work how they should work. An example might be a tortoise hidethat has a humidity reservoir so proper humidity can be achieved like a wild burrow.

Anyway thanks for reading, best wishes, Dan.

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
I know a box turtle is not a tortoise but they are native to my SE Ohio region and I adore their personalities! I currently keep no pet turtles as I have yet to buy my land and set up a proper outdoor enclosure for them.

Really my end goal would be making an environment friendly for the wild turtles in my area to visit and forage in while I could see them occasionally.

I do enjoy keeping pets but have not been keeping anything for around 5 years except our yorkie named Scooby Doo. In the past I have had a Russian tortoise but gave him back after a few days of her wandering around the 4x4' enclosure digging almost non stop into the corners. I didn't have the time or expertise then to care for her correctly.

So I hope to be inspired here and to inspire others with innovative colabrative solutions to tortoise care. I like to fabricate things that work how they should work. An example might be a tortoise hidethat has a humidity reservoir so proper humidity can be achieved like a wild burrow.

Welcome.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I love box turtles!!!! We have a member, @Turtulas-Len , who lives in the eastern U.S. and he has wild box turtles visiting his yard all the time. I would love that! There are no wild turtles in my area.

Russian tortoises are wanderers. They're hard wired to wander over great distances. I'm sorry yours didn't work out for you as they can be pretty nice little tortoises to have.

One of our members showed a large clay pot, I mean a really large clay pot, sitting upright, with a door carved out at the bottom. They then placed a well-fitting clay saucer on top of the pot and filled the saucer with water. The clay absorbs the water and creates a humid hide. If I could figure out how to cut a clay pot without having it break into a million pieces, I would certainly give this a try!

Well, happy hunting. I hope you're inspired with ideas from the forum. It's great to see you finally posting!!

Adogowo

5 Year Member
Thanks for the thoughts Yvonne G cutting clay pots is easy enough. If you soak it overnight in water you can use a round file to grind a line where you want the opening to be. Using it like a saw. Or power tools can go along way, if your comfortable with them, to making it faster.

I will have to look up Turtulas-len and hash over ideas thanks.

Dan

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Happy birthday, and welcome to the forum fellow box turtle lover.