Hibernation

Dott

Location (City and/or State)
South Ayrshire
Hi, my 2 year tortoise is still in the house and I feel he is to small to go into hibernation, he has hidden away in his bed for a few months now and everytime I check on him he is awake, a few times I have tried to put him in a bath and offer him something nice to eat but he is just not interested and after his bath he heads straight back to bed, what can I do

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
look into the conditions he is being kept in , maybe one of the caresheets they got here …….. nothing should be hibernating now , at least nothing in the northern hemisphere …… daylight is near it's maximum ……….. nothing wrong with hiding , but there is a lot wrong with not eating at this time of year ……… what are you feeding him ?

Dott

South Ayrshire
look into the conditions he is being kept in , maybe one of the caresheets they got here …….. nothing should be hibernating now , at least nothing in the northern hemisphere …… daylight is near it's maximum ……….. nothing wrong with hiding , but there is a lot wrong with not eating at this time of year ……… what are you feeding him ?
He likes banana, but i only give him that as a treat so have been trying to entice him with that, he normally eats the pellets, won't eat weeds or things he is a really fussy eater

Dott

South Ayrshire
He likes banana, but i only give him that as a treat so have been trying to entice him with that, he normally eats the pellets, won't eat weeds or things he is a really fussy eater, he has had a really good growth spurt, enjoys his bath but no sooner has he had it and he goes back to bed as I say he is not sleeping, his living quarters is made up of soil substrate and tortoise bedding so don't think it could be that

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Please post pictures of your setup. It will help us help you

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I'd read the species specific caresheet you can find here, and see that you're meeting your tortoise's needs as regards:
  • heat
  • UV light
  • humidity
  • food
  • soaking
As others have said, this is not the time of year that torts will be hibernating... if the proper conditions are being provided, then it may be that your tort has some medical issue.

Good luck, and fingers crossed!

Jamie