Hinge climbing the walls

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hi all

One of my female homeana (Willow) is extremely restless. If she is gravid according to the last owner she's about due.
She has been pacing around like a looneytoon for about 5 days now, I was reading a thread on here yesterday about them climbing the walls when gravid, Well Willow is literally climbing the walls. She will not stop been active, we've found evidence of some slight excavating, only at about 1" deep. So is she gravid or just not happy and stressed. We haven't seen her eat for about 5 days now either, not even worms which she normally gobbles up instantly. I've sat her infront of some worms and she just walked away. If gravid, how long does this go on for, am I to worry. Is there anything I can do to make her feel more comfortable for laying.

Thanks

Craig

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't really help you much here, but one thing I do know, that Kelly (tortadise) said recently, that if they don't have a proper place to dig and lay, they can get egg bound. I would I imagine that not only could they become egg bound, but if they don't have a proper place to lay, they may exhibit the same behavior you are seeing?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thank you @wellington

@Jacqui @tortadise . How wet do these guys have to be during breeding season. I'm assuming they lay when it rains naturally. Do I need to sodden the area for her comfort. My substrate is 6" deep which I thought was enough because I read the Homeana don't dig deep to lay. Is this true. Also I made my enclosure so it can be blocked off in half. Should I block her in one half to be alone or not. Should I wait to see if/where she lays the block her off alone.
This morning I found her laying in a divet she had dug but only about 8" away from another tort.

Thanks

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Very wet. They like lots of hides too, especially keeping them together. They need a forest floor type substrate like leaves, branches and loose debris.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have not had mine having problems with having other tortoises when laying.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
So is it normal for them to be agitated and if so is about a week normal.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Very wet. They like lots of hides too, especially keeping them together. They need a forest floor type substrate like leaves, branches and loose debris.
Got plenty of hides and leaf litter, Think I need more debris mixed in, will sort that.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So is it normal for them to be agitated and if so is about a week normal.

The not eating and the restlessness can both be signs she is due to lay, however it can also be the symptom of other things.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Just a quick update. The last 2 days she willow been very quiet and still not seen her eat.
1st photo is Willow a few days ago climbing, we found her on her back 3 times from climbing the walls.
2nd photo is where she kicked oakly out of the corner.
Last photo is my other 2 Elma and Clover in the other side, he's been at it with her again today.

IMG_2074.JPG IMG_2125.JPG IMG_2127.JPG

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Will you clear up my confusion... How many hinges are in this enclosure? Types and sexes? My old eyes and mind are getting me confused. :S

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Will you clear up my confusion... How many hinges are in this enclosure? Types and sexes? My old eyes and mind are getting me confused. :S
Hi

I have 4 homeana. 2 female and 2 male. This indoor enclosure is 20 square ft. This enclosure is split in to 2 via a small opening, 1 side is covered and very humid and the other is like an indoor garden. I have plans to make a larger enclosure for the future. The lady I got them off had them in a 10 square ft enclosure and they laid eggs regular, so she said. I have fast realised that I don't think this is big enough for them and will do something about this soon.
At what temp do you think I can let them outside.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
@Jacqui

Here are a couple of photos of the entire enclosure. There is a lot more leaf litter and debris in there now.

IMG_2080.JPG IMG_2081.JPG

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think I remember this from when you were making it.