HIP ON THE NEW HYPO BABY

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Oh yea .....check this " GEM" out ....New addition to the " Cove".
Ammmaaazzing.....color ..too bad the flash burns it out. This Hypo is truly " yellow" in color.....and just look at that head and legs~ :D
NEWHYPFL.jpg
NEWHYPFL1.jpg
NEWHYPFL2.jpg
NEWHYPFL3.jpg

JD~:)

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Geochelone_Carbonaria said:
Really nice JD !

Has it got more than one egg tooth ??? Or has it just lost it so there is a gap...

i think s/he does! Either way he looks like a vampire!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Really nice JD !

Has it got more than one egg tooth ??? Or has it just lost it so there is a gap...

Mike ....GOOD EYES! .... someone finally noticed.....yes 2 egg tooths ... wild eh ? Unreal coloring on this little one .... by far the most " yellow" tort I've seen . Most of my other hypos are a "golden" color ...but this one is really yellow. I'll try and get some better shots this week . How have you been? ....
JD~

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Those are not two egg teeth. Those are the typical tri-cusp/hook formations on the upper beak of a yellow foot. The animal does not possess an egg tooth at all at this point.

That is the lightest baby yellow foot I have ever seen.

Very nice animal. From where did you obtain it?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
jrcrist4 said:
Wow i thought it was a Yellowfoot at first, the double egg tooth is cool! Very beautiful!

It is a yellow foot. It has no egg tooth. That is the standard yellow foot beak structure.

Agreed, though. A real looker.

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Southern part of Sweden
N2TORTS said:
Really nice JD !

Mike ....GOOD EYES! .... someone finally noticed.....yes 2 egg tooths ... wild eh ? Unreal coloring on this little one .... by far the most " yellow" tort I've seen . Most of my other hypos are a "golden" color ...but this one is really yellow. I'll try and get some better shots this week . How have you been? ....
JD~

That's really odd...It is a very beautiful little tort indeed JD !

I'm fine, thanks for asking ! It's just a lot to do and a lot of work at the moment, but it'll calm down hopefully... My second female is diggin out in the top penthouse terrarium right now, so hopefully yet another clutch on it's way soon ;)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Baoh said:
jrcrist4 said:
Wow i thought it was a Yellowfoot at first, the double egg tooth is cool! Very beautiful!

It is a yellow foot. It has no egg tooth. That is the standard yellow foot beak structure.

Agreed, though. A real looker.

Well…Guys something new to us maybe? Consider this …
While there are plenty of morphometric differences between these two species, by far the easiest method of telling Red-foots and Yellow-foots apart is the differences in the scalation of their heads. Yellow-foots have elongated prefrontal scales and a fragmented frontal scale. Red-foots have shortened prefrontals and an intact frontal scale
( such as this lil‘ one just hard to see at this point because of the incredible head color). And then there is just plain proof ,,,,
#1 Neither of us owns or breeds yellowfoots….( didn't hatch this one)
#2 here are pics of the RF herd that produced these and also litter mates from the same clutch …just not so dynamic. The bi- tooth , is not so much a tri tip like you mention common among yellow foots. Also I have never seen a yellow foot with this much red on head and legs and “ hue of the coloring itself” in the many years of keeping torts ( although I’m no expert on yellowfoots) …
So I’m here to say …. It’s a Redfoot guys … and as it grows maybe other signs will show eh ?
hypn6.jpg
HYPN5.jpg
HYPN4.jpg
HYPN3.jpg
hypn2.jpg

JD~

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
yagyujubei said:
Maybe it's an Orangefoot.

:D....actually dat's not a bad idea the red color is a burnt fire orange . Still trying to get a decent shot ....the flash blares out the color.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
The second group of photos are all RFs, but the animal on the first page is not in the photos of RFs on the second page. The animal on the first page is a YF. The scalation on the animal on the first page is a match for YF. The marginal scute edges are a match for YF. The pattern contrast is a match for YF. The jaw/beak is a match for YF. The shape (angles of corners) of the first vertebral scute is a match for YF. None of these match RF.

Here are some shots of YF hatchlings to show the tri-tip beak, scalation, contrast pattern, and first vertebral scute angles. Found these easily with an image search. The first image is from Educated Earth. The second is from Eric Ivins.

hatchlingyellowfoot.jpg

http://s45.beta.photobucket.com/user/EricIvins/media/085.jpg.html

Status
Not open for further replies.