HIP ON THE NEW HYPO BABY

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Boah .. great shot ...and I have to agree withyou on so many things but for comparison the scaling is completly different in the frontal margin. Maybe a cross?

My Rf Hypos are much different in coloring as well ....
hatchc.jpg
soak.jpg

Matter of fact ... She is laying right now! :D

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
The anterior marginals are consistent with the two YFs in Eric's photo and many others. He would know this even better than I, as I have produced less than 50 YF thus far (and I will not be producing more with what I retained - an oversized 10yo female).

If it is a cross, it would mean that it conserved every superficial anatomical trait from the YF and none from the RF. That is extremely unlikely.

It looks like "only" an awesome hypo YF, but that is (to my knowledge) a rarer find than a hypo RF. I would pray that it ends up male so you can create many hets via breeding it to multiple wild type YF females in a handful of years. You have every reason to be very proud of having this jewel.

The dark wishbone-looking mark behind the highly colored head scales is another trait YF hatchlings often have, by the way.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Incredible! It'll be interesting to see this one grow up.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Why Thanks .... what caught my eye ( the coloring on photos I was shown , I do not know the person and actually I was a 3rd party ( who ended up with this ) I do find the coloring so insane yellow its unreal . As I'm not near a YF person , and as a matter of fact oneof the few torts I have never owned. So I will stick with your opinion on this one . I'm interested to see how the sellers/traders will take it ....;)
But that’s ok ... I think it is a " diamond in the ruff" sorta speak.;)

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Actually i am in the process of breeding yellows, they were a clucking today! I don't know that much but that baby does look like a yellow to. I will leave the discussion up to you guys!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
jrcrist4 said:
Actually i am in the process of breeding yellows, they were a clucking today! I don't know that much but that baby does look like a yellow to. I will leave the discussion up to you guys!

Actually John, I think Baoh is dead nutz on this one ....not a disappointment , just a miss-communication between parties and lack of knowledge of who actually hatched this and sent me the RF pics.
The first pics are the one's I took the day I opened the box....yesterday. Intersting to say the least and thanks Baoh for the insight on the YF's~:D

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Anytime, my good man. I like the animals you have (hybrids) and produce (hypos) and wish you only continued success (including with your latest addition). By the way, my hypo is in my pic thread in the pic forum in case you have not yet had time to take a look.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Not looking to pick a fight here, but I have two redfoot hatchlings with tri-tipped beaks. Though not as pronounced as what Baoh shows, I'm not convinced that characteristic is the best for delineating between YF & RF. I do agree the nose scales are a bit suspicious, but I really can't tell if it's Yellow or Red!? Either way it's a beautiful animal and I am looking forward to seeing that baby grow up!

Tri-tip_2.jpg

Tri-tip_1.jpg

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Redstrike said:
Not looking to pick a fight here, but I have two redfoot hatchlings with tri-tipped beaks. Though not as pronounced as what Baoh shows, I'm not convinced that characteristic is the best for delineating between YF & RF. I do agree the nose scales are a bit suspicious, but I really can't tell if it's Yellow or Red!? Either way it's a beautiful animal and I am looking forward to seeing that baby grow up!

Tri-tip_2.jpg

Tri-tip_1.jpg

There are some RFs that do have tri-tip beaks. They tend to be less pronounced than with YFs when it occurs.

By the way, RF tri-tips tend to look more "beveled" than "hooked". YFs tri-tips tend to look more "hooked" than "beveled". It is, admittedly, nuanced, but when you see a lot of it, you tend to recognize it quickly.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
I just caught this thread, but I do have to concur that the animal in question is a Yellowfoot. Both scalation and growth is different from a Redfoot. It is hard to describe, but a Yellowfoots scute seam tends to grown upwards similair to the way Manouria do. Redfoots tend to have smooth seam growth......

Attachments

• 059.JPG
    059.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 36

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
EricIvins said:
I just caught this thread, but I do have to concur that the animal in question is a Yellowfoot. Both scalation and growth is different from a Redfoot. It is hard to describe, but a Yellowfoots scute seam tends to grown upwards similair to the way Manouria do. Redfoots tend to have smooth seam growth......

Yup Eric ...I belive you and Baoh are Darn - toot-N *RIGHT* and after a long work week ,just finally getting to compare more notes ..as well as your and baoh's info . It's still very different though is some ways ..( I guess thats true for all torts) Hopefully I will have time to take some better pics this weekend. Thanks again for your input.
JD

Redstrike said:

Tri-tip_2.jpg

Tri-tip_1.jpg

Excellent SHARE....:D
It helps to see all sides of the coin and the " different" ones,.
How we all learn .....

JD~

amazoa

5 Year Member
Cool litle Hypo Yellow Foot. That gene is awesome. Got to get me some hypos one day when my pockets get deeper. ha! Richard

Lightest redfoot I've ever produced next to the darkest....... but not a hypo! darn

Attachments

• P4137146A.jpg
    P4137146A.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 26

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Like I said JD, Yellow- or Redfoot, it's still a beautiful animal! I can see characteristics of both, but I will say those nose scales are very yellowfoot-ish. However it turns out you were right when you said it was an awesome investment. I don't think I've ever seen a hypo yellowfoot (likely from my inexperience) but it's a knockout either way! Glad to see you are enjoying it!

EricIvins

5 Year Member
I wouldn't stick the "Hypo" label on it yet. Give it a few months and you will more than likely have a very normal, orange, Yellowfoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.