Holding humidity

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Hi! I'm having trouble holding humidity when my new MVB is on during the day. It dips down to 30-40% and I'm constantly trying to mist and mixing up my substrate with no luck. Once the light is off during night time I'm back to my 50-60% where it should be for Taz, my Russian. Suggestions?!

Thanks. :)

Tyanna

Wisconsin
No, I have my gauge hanging high enough so Taz can't knock it off. Should I lower it? Also, I'm using the darn disk type that everyone says not to, until I get paid. Maybe it's not accurate? What would you suggest using (from where/how much?)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Hi Tom, I have a closed top, but it is a screen. Does that make a difference?
Can you cover the screen with something? Even if it's just heavy duty tin foil or something? I'm not sure what type of enclosure you have though...

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Yes. Yes it does. Its all in the thread I linked.

Thanks Tom but I'm getting an error with the link.

Can you cover the screen with something? Even if it's just heavy duty tin foil or something? I'm not sure what type of enclosure you have though...

I bought a glass terrarium kit from PetCo. Unfortunately I can't find my photos of it, but I can post later when I get off work if it helps to completely see it.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Thanks Tom but I'm getting an error with the link.

I bought a glass terrarium kit from PetCo. Unfortunately I can't find my photos of it, but I can post later when I get off work if it helps to completely see it.
Ok, so cover the top with heavy foil and tape it around the edges of the screen top. Just cut out holes just big enough for your lights. That will hold in the humidity.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Also, what wattage is the MVB? I'm assuming your tank is a 40 breeder. Not very large and the wattage of your MVB may be just too much. What are you measuring temps with?

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I have 160 MVB as recommended a few times, it is hanging 1".5' (measuring from bottom of tank) above my tank leaving my hot/basking side at 95-100 degrees. (1".5' was recommended for the wattage/brand of my MVB, a PowerSun). He seems to enjoy it so much more than my old 75 watt heat/UVA bulb, so I would assume he isn't getting too hot. Spends way more time basking than before. Unfortunately I'm using the disk heat/humidity reader that came with the kit, pay day is around the corner where I can buy something more accurate. (It's on my list along with moss that was recommended to help with humidity.)

On the size of my tank, it was temporary, I do not want my Taz in such a small space as I want him to be the happiest. I will have more space for him in a little less than a month where I can invest in a big fun tortoise table for him. :)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I have 160 MVB as recommended a few times, it is hanging 1".5' (measuring from bottom of tank) above my tank leaving my hot/basking side at 95-100 degrees. (1".5' was recommended for the wattage/brand of my MVB, a PowerSun). He seems to enjoy it so much more than my old 75 watt heat/UVA bulb, so I would assume he isn't getting too hot. Spends way more time basking than before. Unfortunately I'm using the disk heat/humidity reader that came with the kit, pay day is around the corner where I can buy something more accurate. (It's on my list along with moss that was recommended to help with humidity.)

On the size of my tank, it was temporary, I do not want my Taz in such a small space as I want him to be the happiest. I will have more space for him in a little less than a month where I can invest in a big fun tortoise table for him. :)
That sounds like a high wattage for that size tank. I would think that you're basking spot is higher than 95 to 100. Without a temperature gun you really have no way of knowing. For a tank that size, I wouldn't go higher than 100 watts.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Thank you. Any temperature gun will work? I can invest in one sooner since this is very important to me. If my temperatures turns out to be higher than what is being read, could I always raise my bulb higher to get the right temperature since MVBs are bit pricey, or would you recommend trying to return it for a lower wattage?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Thank you. Any temperature gun will work? I can invest in one sooner since this is very important to me. If my temperatures turns out to be higher than what is being read, could I always raise my bulb higher to get the right temperature since MVBs are bit pricey, or would you recommend trying to return it for a lower wattage?
I believe you can get temp guns at Radio Shack if I'm not mistaken. I don't know where else. I have the pro exotics one that I ordered online. And yes, you can raise your bulb. Many people do that. I do not use MVB's, so I prefer to just use a rheostat for my heat bulbs. I don't think you can use those with MVB's so you would have to raise the bulb.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I believe you can get temp guns at Radio Shack if I'm not mistaken. I don't know where else. I have the pro exotics one that I ordered online. And yes, you can raise your bulb. Many people do that. I do not use MVB's, so I prefer to just use a rheostat for my heat bulbs. I don't think you can use those with MVB's so you would have to raise the bulb.

Thank you Lisa. I am picking up a temperature gun from Home Depot today after work. I will ACCURATELY measure the temperature. I am now assuming it is hotter (makes me sad for my tortoise) than it should be and that might be why my humidity is so low when it is on. I will raise the bulb to get the right temperature and hopefully that fixes my humidity problem.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
It should help, along with covering the top. Though keep in mind covering the top will also hold in heat as well. Which really could make that high wattage a problem.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I agree..you can only raise a bulb so much, hehe. I will read my temperature as soon as I get home tonight, raise the bulb (I'm assuming my temps are too high), ditch the disk which has let me down. Now I know why everyone shames them here, haha! After I raise my bulb I will monitor my humidity and temps frequently and if it does not fix my humidity issue I'll cover the top, and see how it works. If I do have to cover the top I will def be getting a lower wattage bulb. I appreciate all your help!

Tyanna

Wisconsin
One more thing, which also makes me sad...could this be why I have an extra sleepy tortoise on my hands? He usually sleeps a lot but it has been more than normal. When I take him out for exercise he takes a few steps and curls up and sleeps instead. This has only been for the past 2 days. Still eating a lot and still pooping fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The problem with a 160 watt MVB in a small enclosure is that it creates a large warm spot under it, and for a temperate species like your, it sort of eliminates the "cool" side and makes it hard for them to thermoregulate properly. These bulb are good for large tortoises and/or large enclosures because they make a larger warming area. You need a small basking area for a smaller tortoise in a smaller enclosure. I would use just a regular hardware store flood bulb indoors for now, and get your tortoise outside a couple of times a week for real sunshine over the summer. Save your big MVB for winter and the new big table. I use the 65 watt ones.

If you are having humidity troubles now, you will really have them with an open topped table. With some deep damp substrate and a humid hide on the warm side, I don't think humidity will be an issue for an older russian tortoise, and your 160 will work well over a large tortoise table. Remember to build the sides extra tall on your table so that even with a thick layer of substrate, your walls should still be at least 16" tall above substrate level.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
The problem with a 160 watt MVB in a small enclosure is that it creates a large warm spot under it, and for a temperate species like your, it sort of eliminates the "cool" side and makes it hard for them to thermoregulate properly. These bulb are good for large tortoises and/or large enclosures because they make a larger warming area. You need a small basking area for a smaller tortoise in a smaller enclosure. I would use just a regular hardware store flood bulb indoors for now, and get your tortoise outside a couple of times a week for real sunshine over the summer. Save your big MVB for winter and the new big table. I use the 65 watt ones.

If you are having humidity troubles now, you will really have them with an open topped table. With some deep damp substrate and a humid hide on the warm side, I don't think humidity will be an issue for an older russian tortoise, and your 160 will work well over a large tortoise table. Remember to build the sides extra tall on your table so that even with a thick layer of substrate, your walls should still be at least 16" tall above substrate level.

Thanks very much, Tom. I have a regular heat/UVA bulb that I believe is 65 or 75 watts that I could replace my MVB with, that I had no troubles with when it comes to humidity. I want to do what is best for my tortoise. I was worried if he was not out every day it would not be good for him without a UVB bulb but now that you say a few times a week that is definitely do-able for summers here in WI. (It has been very rainy this summer so I did not think I could get him out every day hence why I purchased the MVB to use this summer.) When we begin building a table for my tortoise I will make sure to follow your advice. I really appreciate your help! :)