Hole in Sulcata shell- HELP

Tortoise Pierre

Location (City and/or State)
Dana Point
Hi guys, my tortoise has this hole like cut in the side of his shell.. it's not soft and he doesn't mind if you touch it and nothing comes out of it. I don't knoww if he scratched it walking by something or what. If anyone can help me, give me tips or anything it'd be much appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 105

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are there opposing marks on the plastron? That looks like a dog fang mark.

How close to the ocean are you? Is your climate somewhat humid or fairly dry?

Tortoise Pierre

Dana Point
Yes that is. I think that is what it is, thank you.

I'm about 10 minutes out, though it's fairly dry. Sadly, he was brought up dry and I got him at about 9 months, have had him for four. We have his humidity to 50%, but are building a closed enclosure from what your threads have suggested on Friday and that will be at 80% definitely.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Hi, if I were you I would check to see if there are any ways an animal can get into your yard, close it up and you should watch your tort when he is outside until you find an entrance... Be careful! Does one of your neighbors/friends own a dog? Try your best :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If that is an injury from a tooth of some critter, then you will want to make sure that the tort is not left in the area unattended until you determine the critter....and its whereabouts..also, does that hole go completely into the fleshy part of the tort, or is it a surface issue?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Are there marks on the plastron? I'm just curious because these seem to be the only marks on the shell... When I imagine it I imagine a cat/dog trying to pick him up with his mouth, I think there will be marks there... What animals are common in your area? Have you seen one in your yard?

Tortoise Pierre

Dana Point
Thank you guys very much!

My younger sister has a dog thats a small 10 pound poodle mix that would be the culprit. We have been watching her more extensively now, because she didn't have any interest but suddenly does. I believe she tried to pick him up. Those are the only marks and there are just on the surface, not into to the flesh.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Thank you guys very much!

My younger sister has a dog thats a small 10 pound poodle mix that would be the culprit. We have been watching her more extensively now, because she didn't have any interest but suddenly does. I believe she tried to pick him up. Those are the only marks and there are just on the surface, not into to the flesh.
I'm glad he didn't do any harm to her! Watch him well, we don't want another dog story :(

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh good, if the injury is superficial then I would just put that little dog elsewhere while the tort is out....although the dog is small, it can still chew off limbs and that would be terrible.

Tortoise Pierre

Dana Point
I agree completely, and read another one of Tom's great threads and will definitely be keeping them completely separate more.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its not a matter of "watching more closely". Its a matter of this dog should NEVER have access to the tortoise. Dogs should NEVER be left alone unsupervised with a tortoise. Dogs that have proven themselves to be a problem should simply never be allowed to get near the tortoise supervised or not.

Please do not take this lightly. Your tortoises safety and well being are dependent upon you.

Tortoise Pierre

Dana Point
Exactly, the tortoises lives are not worth trying to keep the two together, especially when they can easily be separated.