Shell damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texastort

10 Year Member!
Hi everyone! Please help! I picked up one of my torts today and he has two holes it his shell. They are small but deep, it's very strange. No dogs or anything could have done this. In one hole I can see down to his skin. How do I keep it from getting infected??? This is so strange.......

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Pictures would help immensely.

Texastort

10 Year Member!
jaizei said:
Pictures would help immensely.

I know I can't take pics now. One is deep, the other not so bad. I am really concerned about infection. Can I put a band aid over it?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If you house them outdoors...you really should be weary of flies near an open wound....

You say you can look into the hole and see skin? Do you mean you can see into him, as under the shell is the tortoise? I am confused...

I would not necessarily put anything over the opening just yet, as if you close it off that can promote infection even quicker....

Please post pics asap so we can see if we can get you some direction...something obviously was able to access them if it is two holes...are the holes in such a fashion to match up to teeth marks...and if so did you check the bottom and the sides of the tort to see if there are matching holes elsewhere?

Strange for certain...

Texastort

10 Year Member!
ascott said:
flies + open wound = maggots

a really bad thing

Yeah it's covered with a bandage. Can I put neosporin or something to prevent infection? This is so strange. It is a perfect hole, round and clean. No evidence of an animal either.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
well....I would say that if it were me to decide...I would absolutely make a trip to a rep/exotic vet.....I would do this for two reasons...one, to have a trained eye look at the holes and to also get antibiotics started.

So, if tomorrow you can---please take a pic fo the holes and if you post it here we can take a peek see. also you may way to pm exoticdr and get his opinion :D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
pesty neighbor children? can your torts be seen by passer bys? BB gun sounds like a culprit..
A lot of flies.. sometimes the cooler weather.. or a wound will attract flies..

Texastort

10 Year Member!
Laura said:
pesty neighbor children? can your torts be seen by passer bys? BB gun sounds like a culprit..
A lot of flies.. sometimes the cooler weather.. or a wound will attract flies..

I can't imagine someone shooting him, I have a 35 lb tort that would be a much easier target. Here are some photos, its hard to see! Could some kind of insect done this? I have checked my whole area for exposed nails, metal anything and there is nothing.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    291.4 KB · Views: 104
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    237.3 KB · Views: 90

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would take your tortoise to the vet right away. You may want to have them examine or xray to make sure nothing else going on....but there is infection setting in within each of those holes....IMHO

Calamala

5 Year Member
Looks like it is getting a bit infected to me as well. Could something have fallen from a tree and pinged him just right. Or perhaps a bird scooped down for him. Not sure where you are but I have hawks and eagles that have attempted to take puppies, and baby goats.

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
I really don't think an insect could have done that kind of damage unless it was already very soft. I'm thinking the same with a tree branch or bird. I'm still sticking with the BB gun theory. I would get him to a vet for xrays and antibiotics as soon as you can.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
That's terrible! See a vet no question. Keep us updated and best of luck to you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A bb gun would not do that. Not strong enough. Those look like fang punctures to me. And their location confirms that too. An animal would look for good purchase before clamping down and attempting to drive the canine teeth in. The fang would naturally settle to the valley between the two ridges.

Raccoons? Dogs? Coyotes? Watcha got in your area? How big is the tort in the pics?

I'd clean it out really well with some peroxide and betadine in a syringe and then apply some neosporin and keep it covered. If it starts smelling bad, you've got an infection and need a vet.

I'd also bring the torts in at night and put a large, baited Hav-a-hart trap out in their pen over night.

How far apart are those two holes? 2-3"?

Look on the plastron for corresponding dents or scratch marks from the opposing lower jaw.

Texastort

10 Year Member!
Tom said:
A bb gun would not do that. Not strong enough. Those look like fang punctures to me. And their location confirms that too. An animal would look for good purchase before clamping down and attempting to drive the canine teeth in. The fang would naturally settle to the valley between the two ridges.

Raccoons? Dogs? Coyotes? Watcha got in your area? How big is the tort in the pics?

I'd clean it out really well with some peroxide and betadine in a syringe and then apply some neosporin and keep it covered. If it starts smelling bad, you've got an infection and need a vet.

I'd also bring the torts in at night and put a large, baited Hav-a-hart trap out in their pen over night.

How far apart are those two holes? 2-3"?

Look on the plastron for corresponding dents or scratch marks from the opposing lower jaw.

Yeah, it's got to be a bite. Thus tort is 12 inches. What's weird though there is no damage on the plastron, and all of my torts are in closed of boxes at night. So weird. Ive got it cleaned and covered. He's acting normal. I have 4 others and no sign of a bite or similar damage.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Claws of a large bird of prey maybe? I'd get some saline and wash it out good.

Status
Not open for further replies.