homeana swimming

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
This species is very active and likes to climb a lot. On 2 occasions I've found one of these on there backs in the water dish due to climbing nearby obstacles. I've since moved the water dish away from any dangers. on any normal occasion if they flip from climbing they just use 2 legs and the head to self right themselves.

From what I have researched these guys love it wet which makes sense living in the African rain forest, I read that during floods they tend to gather on small islands that are higher than the water levels(also the time for humans to collect easily:(), apparently these have been seen diving down for fish, if that is true i'm guessing they scavenge for dead fish rather than live fish.

So back to the water dish, They can't self right because of lack of grip in the dish. (terracotta or plastic). Obviously my dish is not deep enough so they can drown, BUT is this right, if they had a dish deep enough that if they fell into the water they could self right themselves and climb out via a ramp.
A couple of videos below of one swimming, my next step is to put an island in the water and see what one does.

Thoughts please.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Ohh no ! These babies kill me with their cuteness !
But my thoughts would be, if they fell in deeper water, they should be able to easily flip over and swim towards a ramp.
But a concern would be, when they fall in, can they hold their breath so they dont breathe in water? If not, how much water can they breathe in before it affects them?
I dont think they would be getting much water in their lungs though since it should take long to right themselves, but they're also still very little.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Ohh no ! These babies kill me with their cuteness !
But my thoughts would be, if they fell in deeper water, they should be able to easily flip over and swim towards a ramp.
But a concern would be, when they fall in, can they hold their breath so they dont breathe in water? If not, how much water can they breathe in before it affects them?
I dont think they would be getting much water in their lungs though since it should take long to right themselves, but they're also still very little.
Thanks LN
A while back one of my adults got in the water and stayed under for about 5 minutes, at which point I panicked and took it out quick. Don't know how long they can stay under for.

Rue

Canada
They definitely swim like tortoises and not turtles. I know the feeling.

All I can think of is to look for a shallow pebbled birdbath...something with a rough surface that they can use to grip.

Harder to clean...but I wouldn't let that stop me from getting one...

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Thanks LN
A while back one of my adults got in the water and stayed under for about 5 minutes, at which point I panicked and took it out quick. Don't know how long they can stay under for.
Is he/she okay? Everything's normal ?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Is he/she okay? Everything's normal ?
Yeah , all good. Active as normal. They all seem to enjoy hours,days in the baths. It's a problem because they like to get in with just the head peeking out of the water, so to achieve that it's also deep enough for one to drown if every upside down in the water(this has not happened for ages). I have the baths with rocks acting as steps going to the deep end, and no obstacles near the baths.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
They definitely swim like tortoises and not turtles. I know the feeling.

All I can think of is to look for a shallow pebbled birdbath...something with a rough surface that they can use to grip.

Harder to clean...but I wouldn't let that stop me from getting one...
I'll have to look into this. Thanks Rue.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
Yeah , all good. Active as normal. They all seem to enjoy hours,days in the baths. It's a problem because they like to get in with just the head peeking out of the water, so to achieve that it's also deep enough for one to drown if every upside down in the water(this has not happened for ages). I have the baths with rocks acting as steps going to the deep end, and no obstacles near the baths.
Well, i would like to assume that deeper water is okay for the adults. I think it's just nerve racking for the babies.
But would you like to try giving the babies a deep end in their water source? But maybe keep it away from objects that can cause the babies to flip?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Well, i would like to assume that deeper water is okay for the adults. I think it's just nerve racking for the babies.
But would you like to try giving the babies a deep end in their water source? But maybe keep it away from objects that can cause the babies to flip?
So what you see in those videos is a baby panicking to get out? That is what I wanted to know of you guys.
I'll stick with shallow water away from objects. Need to find something with grip on the bottom though.

Linhdan Nguyen

Maryland
So what you see in those videos is a baby panicking to get out? That is what I wanted to know of you guys.
I'll stick with shallow water away from objects. Need to find something with grip on the bottom though.
Oh no, i think the babies enjoy it a little. I meant its nerve racking for you, as an owner.