Horsfield - possible cracked shell or shell rot, need help

MeggiePop

5 Year Member
Hello, new to this so bare with me please.

My 8 year old horsfield Mr Kindles seems to have a small wound to his underside. Looks like he has damaged himself somehow, he does seem to throw himself off things a lot but I wanted to post here and see if maybe now it is a problem? Im worried about shell rot, I am planning to take him to the vets but havnt thought much of their advise in the past so thought id try here first. Pictures should be attached. He seems happy and healthy in himself otherwise and it doesnt seem to cause him any discomfort to touch it.

Any advice very appreciated,

Many thanks

Meg and Mr K

IMG_20180606_120235_375.jpg IMG_20180606_120234_871.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It looks like a mild abrasion.
If you are in doubt, smear a little anti biotic cream on the spot for a wound or a dab of athletes foot cream for fungus. I don't think it needs either.
Can you clean it and get another photo?
Vets are great. But often not needed.
Save your money this time

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Looks like a rub mark? Does he drag his shell on that side? Maybe one of his legs had an injury(internal or external) that caused him to not put pressure on one leg causing a drag mark. I'm just throwing stuff out there that I would look for.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and a belated "Welcome!!"

I took a close look at the picture you posted in you album, and there are little erosion spots similar to shell rot, but it doesn't look fresh. But just to be on the safe side, get some Betadine and some Nolvesan. Scrub the area with a tooth brush and the Nolvesan. Be sure to get out any debris that may be in there. Scrub, rinse, then scrub again. Rinse it thoroughly. When dry, dab some Betadine into the cracks and crevices and allow that to dry. Tomorrow, clean it out again with Nolvesan, rinse well, allow it to dry, then dab some athlete's foot cream into it. No more cleaning is required, but continue with the foot cream for a couple weeks. You may need to either keep him in a place with no substrate, or else LIGHTLY bandage the area to keep substrate out. If you opt to bandage, you'll need to change it frequently as it gets dirty.