House Trained Tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewster320

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts, USA
I've had my girl now for a few weeks and while I've been working on her outdoors enclosure I have been taking her out pretty much everyday to every other day to graze and get some natural sunlight. I have noticed something though that I've found interesting.
She seems to only go to the bathroom when she's outside on the grass. Even if I don't have a chance to take her out one day she won't go until I take her out again the next day. I figure it must have something to do with something outside(the grass, the sun, ect) that stimulates her to go but I just found it interesting and I wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mine usually poops in his soak. Are you sure when he is inside he isn't eating it? If mine is pooping some place other then his soak, he is probably eating it as I never find it. Yes it is normal for them to eat their poop. I wouldn't let them if you can find it first though.

Brewster320

5 Year Member
Massachusetts, USA
wellington said:
Mine usually poops in his soak. Are you sure when he is inside he isn't eating it? If mine is pooping some place other then his soak, he is probably eating it as I never find it. Yes it is normal for them to eat their poop. I wouldn't let them if you can find it first though.

Hmm never though of that. Makes sense considering my turtles do the same thing lol -_-. I'll try to keep an eye out for that though. Thanks.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Tortoise are generally designed to retain fluid for as long as possible...so if you offer a tort a water filled food or they have a source to obtain fresh water/fluid---they will release the fluid in their body and make room for the intake of the new/fresh water...

So it would appear that your tort is simply acting normal....and his timing a choice to refill is perfect...lol

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I couldn't get my tort baby to poop in his soak, even, and I was really worried... Then I realized that it was pretty much coming out as new stuff went in, he would usually poop on his food dish while eating, and then finish up the poop when he was done with the food. NASTY.

I figured out that if I soak him outside, for whatever reason, that makes it much more likely for him to clear his system. Probably because the water stays warmer that way.

Snowqueen75

5 Year Member
Mine dont poop in there enclosure and they do have a good munch in enclosure and outside grazing.Also poops when having a soak

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Tortoises don't seem to have a well-developed midden instinct. In the wild, they may pee and poop in their own burrows, which raises the humidity. Non-burrowing species just eliminate waste as they go along, with no real regard to where. This is very different from dogs and cats, which have an instinct not to foul their own nest, and to use their waste as territorial markers. So, I would say that tortoises cannot be house-trained.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Snowqueen75 said:
Mine dont poop in there enclosure and they do have a good munch in enclosure and outside grazing.Also poops when having a soak

Lucky you! Mine have no regard for where they poop. Their hides, their burrows, their water dishes - they've left little gifts on it all. Their food dishes are a particular favorite - its like they're clearing out yesterday's lunch to make room for more. :p

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
mctlong said:
Snowqueen75 said:

Lucky you! Mine have no regard for where they poop. Their hides, their burrows, their water dishes - they've left little gifts on it all. Their food dishes are a particular favorite - its like they're clearing out yesterday's lunch to make room for more. :p

That's the way my tortoise is too :p

Status
Not open for further replies.