Housing multiple

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I was considering getting another russian tort but of course don’t want to keep two together if I shouldn’t. Is it possible to house two Russian females together or will it be problematic?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not advised. Two femalea could possibly get along but you need a very large enclosure. Not the size most people think is acceptable. A minimum of a 4x8 foot for one and that's still small. So much bigger for two.
However, tortoises do not want or need a friend or buddy so you are best to keep just one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was considering getting another russian tort but of course don’t want to keep two together if I shouldn’t. Is it possible to house two Russian females together or will it be problematic?
Russians are very scrappy. Two females are almost certain to fight and be territorial. They should never be kept in pairs. Groups can sometimes work in large outdoor enclosures with one dominant male and several females, but even that doesn't always work.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Yes please do not get another unless you plan on having separate enclosures. Please search all the horror stories on this forum you will change your mind. They are solitary creatures and do not want a friend.