How big should my sulcata tortoise be?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
i got my baby sulcata tortoise on december 25th and he's been the same size since then. i'd say the size of a kiwi or one of those halo oranges. with those 3 months of growth, is he at the right size or should he be bigger?
What was the source of this baby and how was it started? Few breeders start them correctly.

Most of the care info given for this species is wrong. If you've been letting it drop down to room temp at night and only soaking three times a week, that is part of the problem. This is a tropical species. They need warm nights, not cold. Cold nights are for temperate species.

Here is all the correct care info in one place for you:

MilesTheTortoise

pittsburgh pennsylvania
What was the source of this baby and how was it started? Few breeders start them correctly.

Most of the care info given for this species is wrong. If you've been letting it drop down to room temp at night and only soaking three times a week, that is part of the problem. This is a tropical species. They need warm nights, not cold. Cold nights are for temperate species.

tropical? they're from the deserts of africa. i think you might mistaken on what tortoise species i own.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
i keep his humidity level around 75-80 with a basking spot of 100. at night i turn his lamp off so that he can cool down. i also give him 15-20 minute soaks 3 times a day and i give him a variety of greens.

Haven't read more of the posts.....but, explain more on the “cool down”. Sullys need minimum ambiet 80 24/7 so you really shouldn't have cool down periods/locations.

Regarding the “tort tablets” ref’d .... a good handful of softened/wet Mazuri goes a long way to ensuring proper diet.

MilesTheTortoise

pittsburgh pennsylvania
Haven't read more of the posts.....but, explain more on the “cool down”. Sullys need minimum ambiet 80 24/7 so you really shouldn't have cool down periods/locations.

Regarding the “tort tablets” ref’d .... a good handful of softened/wet Mazuri goes a long way to ensuring proper diet.
just as in i turn his light off for the night. his light on top of his heat lamp makes a lot of warmth, so i try to diminish it a little.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
tropical? they're from the deserts of africa. i think you might mistaken on what tortoise species i own.
Wrong. They come from sub-Saharan Africa. Also called the Sahel region. They inhabit grassland and forest edge areas. You need a lot of annual rainfall to sustain grasslands and forests, right? This is NOT a desert species, and desert conditions kill, stunt and malform them.

My friend Tomas Diagne from the African Chelonian Institute lives in South Florida for about half of each year, and his home country of Senegal for the other half. He tells me that sulcata land during the rainy season is hot, humid and muggy like South Florida in summer. These are the conditions that baby sulcatas hatch into in the wild, and these are the conditions that they thrive in in captivity. Monsoon conditions. The books, experts, vets, and breeders have had it wrong for three decades. Following this wrong advice, both the breeders and buyers, is why your baby is still the size of a hatchling at 4-5 months old.

Tropical is everything between the tropic of Capricorn and the tropic of cancer. Most of the sulcata range falls within this region.

If you need more convincing, please ask. Happy to discuss and explain further. Its been a long uphill battle fighting this old, wrong information.

MilesTheTortoise

pittsburgh pennsylvania
Wrong. They come from sub-Saharan Africa. Also called the Sahel region. They inhabit grassland and forest edge areas. You need a lot of annual rainfall to sustain grasslands and forests, right? This is NOT a desert species, and desert conditions kill, stunt and malform them.

My friend Tomas Diagne from the African Chelonian Institute lives in South Florida for about half of each year, and his home country of Senegal for the other half. He tells me that sulcata land during the rainy season is hot, humid and muggy like South Florida in summer. These are the conditions that baby sulcatas hatch into in the wild, and these are the conditions that they thrive in in captivity. Monsoon conditions. The books, experts, vets, and breeders have had it wrong for three decades. Following this wrong advice, both the breeders and buyers, is why your baby is still the size of a hatchling at 4-5 months old.

Tropical is everything between the tropic of Capricorn and the tropic of cancer. Most of the sulcata range falls within this region.

If you need more convincing, please ask. Happy to discuss and explain further. Its been a long uphill battle fighting this old, wrong information.
all of my knowledge specifically for sulcata tortoises came from local zoos, and pet stores. people have different ideas on how they should/shouldn't be cared for. the factual side, i'll look more into. since my info came directly from a zoo itself, i thought i'd been informed with legit facts about sulcata tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
all of my knowledge specifically for sulcata tortoises came from local zoos, and pet stores. people have different ideas on how they should/shouldn't be cared for. the factual side, i'll look more into. since my info came directly from a zoo itself, i thought i'd been informed with legit facts about sulcata tortoises.
Zoos get their info from private breeders and keepers, like us here on the forum. They are last in line on the information highway, and most of the reptile keepers working there will tell you that if they are honest.

I can totally understand your thinking there, but as I said, we ALL had the wrong info, we were all taught the wrong info, and we've all been practicing with the wrong info for three decades. This wrong info was based on incorrect assumptions about where they come from and how they live there. For 20 years everything I did, and all the expert advice I followed led to failure. Stunted and pyramided babies. I kept going back and asking all the "experts", breeders, authors, vets, and sellers, and each time they'd tell me what I did wrong and how to do it right. Each subsequent attempt met with the same failure. I failed because the info was flawed, and none of them knew this, and most of them still don't know this.

For the last 10 years, with lots of help and input from many sources, me and many other people all over the world, have figured out what DOES really work and WHY it really does work. The establishment has not been receptive, to put it nicely. I've been insulted, belittled, threatened, dismissed, ignored, and just about everything else short of physical violence. Meanwhile I keep on producing 100s of healthy thriving babies of many species years after year, while their babies fail to thrive, fail to grow, pyramid and often die. This info has been translated in to several other languages and it produces the same success all over the globe.

You've stumbled on this new info here. Many people have not yet. Many people have heard something about this whole humidity and warmth thing a time or two, but dismissed the person telling them as an idiot, or ill-informed nincompoop. In time, they will keep hearing it and eventually figure this out. In the meantime, most babies hatched annually in this country will be started incorrectly by the breeder, and housed incorrectly by the buyer. The result is stunted grow, pyramiding, and sometimes death for the vast majority of baby sulcatas, and several other species too.

Get a scale and weigh your baby. I'll bet is right around 50 grams. It should be around 300-400 at that age, if it had been started correctly and housed well. This thread might offer some more explanation: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

By contrast, here is how they should be started:

Keep the questions coming. The more of a "Doubting Thomas" you are, the more info will be shared, and the more people can learn.

MilesTheTortoise

pittsburgh pennsylvania
Zoos get their info from private breeders and keepers, like us here on the forum. They are last in line on the information highway, and most of the reptile keepers working there will tell you that if they are honest.

I can totally understand your thinking there, but as I said, we ALL had the wrong info, we were all taught the wrong info, and we've all been practicing with the wrong info for three decades. This wrong info was based on incorrect assumptions about where they come from and how they live there. For 20 years everything I did, and all the expert advice I followed led to failure. Stunted and pyramided babies. I kept going back and asking all the "experts", breeders, authors, vets, and sellers, and each time they'd tell me what I did wrong and how to do it right. Each subsequent attempt met with the same failure. I failed because the info was flawed, and none of them knew this, and most of them still don't know this.

For the last 10 years, with lots of help and input from many sources, me and many other people all over the world, have figured out what DOES really work and WHY it really does work. The establishment has not been receptive, to put it nicely. I've been insulted, belittled, threatened, dismissed, ignored, and just about everything else short of physical violence. Meanwhile I keep on producing 100s of healthy thriving babies of many species years after year, while their babies fail to thrive, fail to grow, pyramid and often die. This info has been translated in to several other languages and it produces the same success all over the globe.

You've stumbled on this new info here. Many people have not yet. Many people have heard something about this whole humidity and warmth thing a time or two, but dismissed the person telling them as an idiot, or ill-informed nincompoop. In time, they will keep hearing it and eventually figure this out. In the meantime, most babies hatched annually in this country will be started incorrectly by the breeder, and housed incorrectly by the buyer. The result is stunted grow, pyramiding, and sometimes death for the vast majority of baby sulcatas, and several other species too.

Get a scale and weigh your baby. I'll bet is right around 50 grams. It should be around 300-400 at that age, if it had been started correctly and housed well. This thread might offer some more explanation: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

By contrast, here is how they should be started:

Keep the questions coming. The more of a "Doubting Thomas" you are, the more info will be shared, and the more people can learn.
with that being said, it's best to do the research myself than to just rely on what other people have to say. thank you for the links, i DEFINITELY need to educate myself on sulcata tortoises. after all, im very new to this. it's embarrassing to receive the wrong info and roll with it as if it's correct. lesson learned for me haha.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
If you need further convincing, compare a sulcata range map to a climate map of Africa-
43FE8CA5-EF77-4A46-8AE7-82D125B209F9.jpeg
19B6392E-D9C0-428B-B794-492E649AFCF7.png
Can we see some pictures of your enclosure?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
with that being said, it's best to do the research myself than to just rely on what other people have to say. thank you for the links, i DEFINITELY need to educate myself on sulcata tortoises. after all, im very new to this. it's embarrassing to receive the wrong info and roll with it as if it's correct. lesson learned for me haha.
Dude. You are NOT alone. For 20 years I was taught this wrong info, followed it and dutifully taught it to everyone around me.

The problem with trying to educate yourself is that almost all sources you can find say the same wrong stuff.

Here is an old thread explaining the origin of this "movement":

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
All I can say is ”Trust in Tom” and what he has to say regarding the proper husbandry for all things Sulcata & Leopards.

✅ High Humidity
✅ Fully Enclosed Enclosure for youngsters...
✅ Daily Soakings , nice long soaks in warm water!
✅ Orchid Bark/Coco/Cypress Mulch Substrate
✅ Good diet, grass, weeds..
✅ Ambient temps > 80F
✅ Large Enclosures!

ps - The Sulcata Bible - https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi and welcome...I'd like to say one, maybe two things to you...you came here looking for advice, it's good that you are ...skeptical...however...you are getting advice from people who have 20-30 years of experience raising tortoises. This is probably not exact, but Tom has a creep of about 30 Sulcata, I only have 2 right now, but many in the past. I'm just trying to say to keep an open mind as you will NOT find as current information anywhere in person or on the Web that you will find here. We are and have been on the forefront of changeing tortoise husbandry and raising exceptional healthy tortoises...please stay for the sake of your baby...