How do I remove this black thing?

pillow

Location (City and/or State)
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
so I bought this aquarium from it's previous owner, and the part of the aquarium facing the wall was "painted?" with this black thing, I plan on having my aquarium use both sides as a viewing option so I'm trying to remove the black thing to uncover it, and ended up scratching it a bit.. how would anyone go about removing this weird "paint"?

pics that might help identifying the "paint" used.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Razor blade and maybe some water or Windex

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Is the glass smoothe?
Or is it textured like the paint?
A chemical paint stripper will remove the paint without harming the glass and there are plastic razor blades that you could use. But you'll need to strip it outdoors and keep your tortoise out if it until its done

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Good suggestions and totally agree..... tortouse is relocated whilst you do this activity and then hoover , brush and clean the inside and outside area before reinstating your tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm getting the impression that the "black thing" is actually a piece of something, glass or something, that is glued onto the aquarium, right? If that's the case I doubt you can remove it without harming the aquarium it's glued onto.

Can we see a picture of the complete aquarium so we have a better idea what we're looking at?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If it's just paint, go to the hardware store and buy some sort of paint remover. But apply it outside in the air, not indoors. Paint remover or stripper will take it off without scraping and scratching.

Rachels

Meridian Idahio
too much reflection in a glass enclosure..get a wooden container please. They see themselves and reflections..not good..although the pet stores love to sell em..Please

xyhapu

VA
Looks like some kind of adhesive-backed foil. Use heat (like a hairdryer) to loosen the adhesive and then scrape it off. Be very careful not to overheat the aquarium/don't leave it on one spot for too long, as you can crack the glass.

Rachels

Meridian Idahio
I'm getting the impression that the "black thing" is actually a piece of something, glass or something, that is glued onto the aquarium, right? If that's the case I doubt you can remove it without harming the aquarium it's glued onto.

Can we see a picture of the complete aquarium so we have a better idea what we're looking at?
I think they were too cheap to buy a wooden 3 by 5 planter for the tortoise..or buy a wood enclosure for inside. so they painted the glass..how cruel can an owner be..

Rachels

Meridian Idahio
I would try acetone , its fairly safe
Good suggestions and totally agree..... tortouse is relocated whilst you do this activity and then hoover , brush and clean the inside and outside area before reinstating your tortoise.
How about buying a woodend enclosure which is better than a glass cage which will doom him to a life of reflections..so sad