How do you clean your soaking buckets?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Given that soaking is poop time, how do you clean your buckets? I've been rinsing mine if they don't overtly poop or pee (tho I know traces will still be left there) and when they do I use a smidge of dawn dish soap and try to make sure there's no lingering reside since I know they will be drinking from it.

What do others do? Is there any recommended best practice?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Given that soaking is poop time, how do you clean your buckets? I've been rinsing mine if they don't overtly poop or pee (tho I know traces will still be left there) and when they do I use a smidge of dawn dish soap and try to make sure there's no lingering reside since I know they will be drinking from it.

What do others do? Is there any recommended best practice?
Bleach and water.
I bleach everything.
Then rinse it and let it fully dry.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
how much bleach? I am sure it depends on the size of the container but for comparison, like a regular old painter's bucket?
I'm usually wearing shorts and flip flops outside. So getting bleach on my clothes isn't an issue. But I use more than I need to. Probably 10 ounces per gallon.
I don't measure it.
I clean everything in "tortoise town" this way. All items and even the swimming pools

Last edited:

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Dump the water down the toilet and use dawn dish soap and scrub the whole bin down with a brush. I have a massive utility sink since going outside all year round isn't really the best option for me due to snow/cold, and my hose is usually shut off from water

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just rinse them with water. I'm more worried about soap and chemical residue than I am bacterial residue.