How far can Russian torts go in 7 days?

pufferfishjones

Location (City and/or State)
Plano, TX
Lost my 5" male russian tort on June 26, and I live in suburban Texas. The temperatures are averaging 85* at dawn/dusk and 97* during the day. He escaped from under the backyard fence bc my enclosure was backed up against it. The fence has several burrows underneath going to the driveway from rabbits coming in and out, so I am considering the possibility of him circling back into the backyard. The driveway is entirely concrete and goes into another concrete alleyway in all directions. We also have a large fig bush in the backyard that I suspected he might be under so I trimmed it back but still nothing.

Is it more likely for the tort to wander across the whole 300ft alleyway or is it more likely for him to turn back to the front yards?

How far might he go in a week?

Also can they smell where water is bc we have a pond 0.7mi away and I'm scared hes going towards it.

Thank you for your help

Attachments

• tortoise.jpg
    tortoise.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's hard to say. He will be looking for shade in the hottest parts of the day and will be out to bask, eat, roam first thing in the morning and likely will do it again at dusk.
I have always noticed on my leopards, when they are roaming, they have one way on, on their mind. Even when I turn them to go another way, they will turn back around to go their original way. Now, when something distracts them, that's when they might head another way.
It your temps, he likely won't travel far and likely only in the coolest part of the day or into the night.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just keep looking daily in the morning, under things and yes by water. Let all neighbors know he is missing. Let your local area vets, police, rescues, shelters and pet stores. Post him missing on the local neighborhood forum.

pufferfishjones

Plano, TX
It's hard to say. He will be looking for shade in the hottest parts of the day and will be out to bask, eat, roam first thing in the morning and likely will do it again at dusk.
I have always noticed on my leopards, when they are roaming, they have one way on, on their mind. Even when I turn them to go another way, they will turn back around to go their original way. Now, when something distracts them, that's when they might head another way.
It your temps, he likely won't travel far and likely only in the coolest part of the day or into the night.
I hope he gets distracted in a full circle and comes back home...

Glad to hear that he won't be travelling far, I will continue the search.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I suspect with the heat he has burrowed. I would leave out fresh water and food to see if it gets disturbed. Hope he returns home. As a priority notify your neighbours in case he is found and someone claims him and he will never return. Russians are escape artists so if found ensure you have improved security. Good luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In theory, he could travel a mile a day. A male might do this in search of a female. Most of the time, they stay relatively close to home and you find them dug into the dirt or under a bush somewhere.

pufferfishjones

Plano, TX
In theory, he could travel a mile a day. A male might do this in search of a female. Most of the time, they stay relatively close to home and you find them dug into the dirt or under a bush somewhere.
I will try digging around under foliage tomorrow morning. Is there a safer alternative to use for digging besides a shovel or rake? I don't really want to use my hands because there could be a large area to cover.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I will try digging around under foliage tomorrow morning. Is there a safer alternative to use for digging besides a shovel or rake? I don't really want to use my hands because there could be a large area to cover.
Hands are the only way to go. Any sort of tool could injure your tortoise.