How large do adult captive Sulcatas get??

Status
Not open for further replies.

JensenEmpire

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
I know there is probably another thread somewhere, but I have read they can grow up to 100-250lbs. Is that likely?

tikifrog

5 Year Member
It is VERY likely that they will exceed 100 pounds, and it is something that is natural for them to do. My Tommy is 16 years old and was 105 pounds at the end of last summer. I can only hope that he will continue to grow well and be happy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Over 100 is very likely. Not very many have reached the 150 pound mark........ yet. Most big sulcatas around today were bred in the early 90's or later. So 20 year old ones are fairly common. Who knows how big they will be at 50 or 75 years old.

BTW, No one knows how long they live. I really don't know where these figures people give out come from. There have been several documented instances of wild caught adult turtles and tortoises living 170 years or more. I don't think my 4 year old little girl will know in her lifetime how long captive raised sulcatas can live.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
This is one of my favorite shots...and I would put these guys in the 150 pound area
bej6kx.jpg

This is Big Mama...in the 175 pound range...WC back in the 80s
14ccivs.jpg

And this is Diesel! He's the largest sully I ever owned (albeit for a short time). He was given to me by a friend who moved out of the country! He's 22 years-old 30 inches and 127 pounds (as of a year ago). He's up with Big Mama now and has basically claimed the massive herd for himself!
34ru6j9.jpg

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
DeanS said:
This is one of my favorite shots...and I would put these guys in the 150 pound area
bej6kx.jpg

14ccivs.jpg

And this is Diesel! He's the largest sully I ever owned (albeit for a short time). He was given to me by a friend who moved out of the country! He's 22 years-old 30 inches and 127 pounds (as of a year ago). He's up with Big Mama now and has basically claimed the massive herd for himself!
34ru6j9.jpg

OUTSTANDING SHOTS!

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
DeanS said:
bej6kx.jpg

14ccivs.jpg

34ru6j9.jpg

I would love to see more shots of Big Mama!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Yeah! And I'd like to see more shots of Perseus...alnog with updated measurements and weight! :p

Here's a shot of Linda's compound...Mama is in the foreground! And this is only a small representation of her stock...I never counted but I guess she's got 40-50 medium-large sulcatas...not counting any babies. BTW, that's Diesel in the upper dead center, buried in mulberry.
2mxonyb.jpg

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Wow, those are impressive. I am hoping mine looks like that some day...

Az tortoise compound

5 Year Member
Arizona
DeanS said:
Yeah! And I'd like to see more shots of Perseus...alnog with updated measurements and weight! :p

Here's a shot of Linda's compound...Mama is in the foreground! And this is only a small representation of her stock...I never counted but I guess she's got 40-50 medium-large sulcatas...not counting any babies. BTW, that's Diesel in the upper dead center, buried in mulberry.
2mxonyb.jpg

Big Mama is awesome!

Dean, you must've missed this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Perseus-s-new-digs#axzz1HZvUGJtn

JensenEmpire

5 Year Member
Phoenix
o cool thanks guys! the pics are awesome. love this forum because there is so much false information on the web lol

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
I found this picture online at tortugavilla.com. The male is purported to be over 200 pounds.
June_2005_Babies_Iguana_Lrg_Pair_Sulcata_002-466x339.jpg

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Yeah! I was at Tortugavilla once...Paul had just sold Thumper (the 200+ pound male)...however he did still have the female that he's breeding in the pic...and she's well over 100 pounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.