How long did it take for you tort to open up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kibow

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast michigan
Some of you know I just got my tort (not sure of his name yet) yesterday and I was curious as to how long your tort took to open up to you. I know everyone is different I just want to hear everyone's stories. My guy just wants to hide from the giant monster that soaks him so I barely see him.

Cadance

5 Year Member
We have had ours for just over a week and they just started eating a lot more I was worried for a little bit there but was told give them a week to settle in and they now eat a ton lol. Thunder was not shy at all and has always been open with us lets me and the kids touch the top of his head comes out with the kids around and everything he started doing this from day one. Our other one Diego on the other hand is very shy and is just starting to kind of open up but only to me he hides when the kids are around when he is out of his cage. So we are working with him slowly. Something that seems to help a little is I get down on the floor with him so I don't look so tall and try to hand feed him (Diego) He has not taken food from my hand yet but I am hoping he will soon Thunder will take food from my hand. Just keep working with him and give him time I am sure he will get there!! :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Laura said:
Mine still havent started talking... i guess thier past is too painful...;-)

:D Cute!

I have had many who from the first day were very friendly and outgoing. On the other side I have had some who even after years are still not what I would friendly and outgoing.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Like Jacqui, I have some that were friendly and outgoing from the start and will come to check you out when they see you, but I also have a sulcata yearling who I have had for almost a year and he takes off running to hide every time he sees me.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
My first two torts werent afraid or anything like that after a few days. But I've had Jasper for over 2 months and he still pulls his head in whenever anyone gets near him.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
What kind do you have? I have a Russian and they are more commonly (based off of owners on the forum) known to be friendly, and enjoy time with those who take care of them. But, I have only had mine since November and he finally (in the past 3 weeks) doesn't exhale and hiss every time he sees me and my hand. He actually let me hand feed him a leaf of greens last week! It will get better! They just have to figure out you aren't the scary monsters who soaks them in water. Remember, they can have the lifespan of 100+.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
My sully who i have had since 9/11 still sometimes pulls in when i come close to her but it did take about a month for her to warm up to us. My new leopard is the opposite.....she is all over the place and barely pulls in when we get close to her.
just give the new little guy some time he will warm up to you before you know it :)

kibow

5 Year Member
southeast michigan
These are all great replies. I have a sulcata that I got from Austin. He was shipped so I know that has to be very stressful. My girlfriend said when the ups driver delivered him to our door he was carrying him on the side, then he looks at the box when he handed it to her he just said oops. So you have know idea what happened from point a to b. I know he moved during the night tho because I have a tray of grass in there and there was a trampled path from one side to the other.

Mrallniter7

5 Year Member
Florida
We have a CherryHead.. we got them on valentine's day 2012 and he is still a little shy; but he is getting better.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
Well, we got our Horsfield (Russian) on pancake day this year, and was always friendly, still took a day to eat. But when I went to she shop to see if they had any she hadn't even been unpacked and was desperate to get out but the others they had in the shop (also still packed) were not fussed at all, so I think its all about the personality of the tortoise!

yoda3106

5 Year Member
My Henry took a few weeks to warm to me but now, every time I go near the enclosure he always pops over to say hi, hetty on the other hand isn't what I'd say is shy but would rather be left alone, she sent scared but shel just dart of in the other direction after a while!! Lol like she's been told off ha

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
For Rocky on the first day he was open to me, he would ask for food, let me hand feed, let me carry him. Just depends on the tort :)

kibow

5 Year Member
southeast michigan
nicoleandrocky said:
For Rocky on the first day he was open to me, he would ask for food, let me hand feed, let me carry him. Just depends on the tort :)

I wish Atlas (I think that might be his name) was open on the first day or maybe even the second. But hopefully he will get used to me soon. So far he only ate a little bit and I havent seen him poo yet (not that I want too :) ).

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
kibow said:
nicoleandrocky said:

I wish Atlas (I think that might be his name) was open on the first day or maybe even the second. But hopefully he will get used to me soon. So far he only ate a little bit and I havent seen him poo yet (not that I want too :) ).

Give him a nice soak....the little ones usually poop in their soaking water. :p

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Orlando
I think I got pretty lucky with my two red foots. I got them when they were 2 months old about a month ago and within the first week they were eating out of my hand and letting me pet their heads. They were skittish for probably the first 3-4 days but have been great since.

kibow

5 Year Member
southeast michigan
jesst said:
Give him a nice soak....the little ones usually poop in their soaking water. :p

I've already have him 2 baths since I got him and nothing. But he has nibbled on some lettuce I had in there, tho I did have to put it almost inside his hide.

Status
Not open for further replies.