Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm looking into getting mobile wifi, but having trouble estimating how many bytes I would need to buy per month. The lady said that 2 gigabytes would allow me to do so many pics, such and such number of emails and then the kicker... 100 internet pages. Can some tech savvy person tell me how this works? So each time I view a page on TFO that counts as 1 of 100? I could use that much in a half hour. This can't be right. Can someone tell me around how many megabytes an average hour of TFO would use? Rough estimate?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Will this be for your house? on the road? I recently set up a mobile wifi in my house, but it did not cost me extra ( besides the router unit) and my DSL service is unlimited. 2 gigabytes will be used up quickly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
On the road, out in the world, with my laptop.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Do you have clear out there??

I switched to clear.. Completely wireless Internet access (no wires or router needed) for 8 computers.... And I can pack it up and take it with me anywhere and get online..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Never heard of that one. I'll do a google search for it.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
The 100 internet pages couldn't have been cumulative for the whole month, that was most likely 100 pages per day (Which is still kind of ridiculous). Unless you're streaming audio/video, 2 GB would suffice for most people. Especially if it's not your primary internet source. Save the heavy lifting for when you're home or at a hotspot and you can use someone else's internet.

Most estimates for viewing internet pages are anywhere from 180KB - 1MB. Many of the pages on TFO are on the low end, if not even less. Plain text only uses 1 byte per character. It's the pictures that get you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
jaizei said:
The 100 internet pages couldn't have been cumulative for the whole month, that was most likely 100 pages per day (Which is still kind of ridiculous). Unless you're streaming audio/video, 2 GB would suffice for most people. Especially if it's not your primary internet source. Save the heavy lifting for when you're home or at a hotspot and you can use someone else's internet.

Most estimates for viewing internet pages are anywhere from 180KB - 1MB. Many of the pages on TFO are on the low end, if not even less. Plain text only uses 1 byte per character. It's the pictures that get you.

Thanks J. That was the kind of thing I was looking for.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
On my pc, I have broadband, and I think my allowage is 5000 mb per month. I always use it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.