How many torts do you have? How many is too many?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
With ANY pet (and even with most hobbies) you have too many or are too deep in it when...

- The animals are suffering because you don't have time, money, or energy to give them the right care

- You cannot offer them enough space, the right food, etc. for whatever reason

- You feel stressed by the hobby, that it is cutting into other aspects of your life or is not benefiting you any more... or even that IT is in control somehow

- You would be unable to handle most semi-common emergencies, like a normal-sized vet bill

- You have to make some hard choices, like food for the family vs. food for the animals

When you are thinking clearly, you would not intentionally get yourself into a situation like the above, but the line between 'having a few' and being a hoarder or having problems really sneaks up on people. I think it is always safest to have a hard limit and know what it is.

For me, for example, I know I don't have indoor space for more than 5 adult red-foot-sized torts, so that is my hard limit. It works nicely for me since I know I could just as easily care for many more, and might someday consider some that could hibernate outside in Nebraska.

The danger is the 'just one more' bit. You know how it goes. Someone on-line offers you a great deal, or see an add for a poor tort that your heart goes out to, or an animal catches your eye at the expo. It is the same thing that happens to most of us when we go grocery shopping without a firm list and budget. Pretty soon the cart is filled with junk.

jayde7699

5 Year Member
I have 2 russian tortoises named "sydney" (my girl) and "taz" (my boy), I just got a larger indoor enclosure and hope to get 2 redfoot tortoises soon with the money I got for my birthday. I'm only 12 and my parents think its odd that I spend all my money on my tortoises, but there like my kids (my tortoises, not my parents :p), and sometimes thts what I actually call them, but its a responsibility I'm willing to take to make them as happy and comfortable as possible. I do have a great place that I take them outside, and I do often, but my parents won't let me put a place out there for them perminately, and i prefer them indoors anyways. :pP

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
EricIvins said:
Who ever dies with the most Tortoises/Turtles WINS!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the "normal" people of the world think were already weird enough but I am down for that lol.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Madkins007 said:
It is the same thing that happens to most of us when we go grocery shopping without a firm list and budget. Pretty soon the cart is filled with junk.

But Mark, that "junk" is normally the best stuff in the whole dang cart. :D

Otherwise Mark, some really great points.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
I have one Star Tortoise (hatchling) and one Sri Lanka Tortoise coming next month. Which is enough for me considering I also care for a chahoua and I don't want to disclose how many gecko's. :D I have reached my full capacity. Yes, I could technically afford more, have the space, and overall care for a full more tortoises but my heart is full.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Only the one redfoot tort! Thankfully she eats a lot of the same veggies I feed my rabbits daily and we live close to a farmer's market for quality fresh veggies. I think 1 tortoise will be our limit seeing as we're renting and I can't build a bunch of pens. Right now finances are tight due to recently moving, but she does get spoiled as do the rest of the pets! Also, if we move again I don't know if I could handle a bunch of reptiles on a move! I also have 2 large labs to feed (one's 90 pounds and one's 75 pounds) so I swear there's a leak in the dog food bin :p

Status
Not open for further replies.