How much sleep?

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Hi guys,
I'm starting to wonder about my tortoise's health. I have a Russian tortoise, she's about five years old. Lately, she's been sleeping all day every day. She used to walk around her enclosure and tip the water bowl, just being a regular naughty tortoise. But now all she does is sleep. In the same spot. Every day. The only time I get her to move is when I soak her (which I do about every other day) and put her outside. Outside, she walks all over and eats a lot of grass, but when I put her back in the cage, she goes right back to sleep.
My lamp is about ten-twelve inches above her, it's a 100 watt heat lamp with a UV on the other side. Could she be getting too warm, and that's why she's lazy? Or is this normal behavior for a female Russian? Thanks!m Here's a pic of her enclosure... (she has more bedding now, she buries down in it and doesn't come out)newcage 013.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Is there any reason she can't stay outside instead of indoors?

Might be a couple of reasons for inactivity. The UVB light may not be putting out any or much UVB. Or she's just bored in that small aquarium.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
The UVB light is a good point. I should probably go and buy a new one. It's still on, but I'm not sure if it's putting out the correct rays. I'll save up to get another one. (Those things are expensive for me!). Granted, the aquarium is smaller than the great outdoors, but I bought her the biggest one they sold. The only reason I don't think she's bored is because she never acted bored even in a smaller tank. Are there toys for tortoises... by the way?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She is in too small of an enclosure. The temps may also be too hot. What is the temp both ends?
Russians cover a large area in the wild. She needs at least a 4x6 enclosure and even bigger would be much better. My Russian is outside 24/7 in the spring through fall as long as temps don't go below 60. He has a heated large hide to go into on the colder days and it's large enough for him to stay in all day if he wants and still have lots of room. Either leave yours outside or greatly improve the size of the indoor encloser or use it only for night time.

jim taylor

Morrisville pa
I think Yvonne nailed it with the uvb. Last week I noticed the same thing with speedy laying around not doing anything but sleeping. I played around with moving his lights, humidity, temp all that kind of stuff nothing worked. I replaced my mvb bulb and it was almost instant the next day he was back to normal. If u have been using the same setup and it was working fine something had to change and it usually the lights.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Aquariums make good enclosures for hatchlings not adults because they are not big enough. Large plastic tote boxes are cheaper and can be joined together to make a proper sized enclosure. The UVB may need improving but a better bet would be the small enclosure size

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Well... I'm kind of ashamed to say how long I've had the UVB. :( I didn't understand (until last week) that even though the light might be working, the UV rays may not. I've had it for one year. I'm going to replace it asap. There is a "Powersun" light at my local pet store... does anyone have any experience with this kind of light? It is rather expensive ($60-70), so if it's not good, I don't want to get it.
Her cage is 4ft by 18 in. I understand that a larger cage would be better, but right now that's not an option for me. Thanks for your concern, though, I understand that you want the best for my tortoise.
I also had another question... I give her the same spring mix for breakfast, varying her food only twice a week. Would that contribute to her laziness?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The power sun is a good bulb. However, it will give off a lot of heat. If it's going to be the only heat source then it would possibly be okay to use. However, it may get too hot for the small enclosure. If you already have a heat source I would go with a tube florescent UVB

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Tortoises don't need toys, exactly, but objects of interest can keep them from getting bored.
I put in spider plants, which also help with the humidity, rocks and sight barriers, a hill to climb and a couple of water features some humid hides and a thick substrate layer to dig into as well as her Nintendo.
But you really need a much larger enclosure for all that.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
If you've had the same UVB bulb all the years you've had her, safe to assume it isn't producing UVB anymore. A UVB meter is very useful for tortoise keepers to keep things on track, but I realize they're too expensive for many keepers. If you're not measuring UVB output, you need to replace bulbs every 6 months or so. If you're getting regular outdoor time, the bulbs aren't a big concern though.

jim taylor

Morrisville pa
I have the same tank as u I have a screen top on mine and it sits on the screen and it keeps my tank in the 90s and the basking spot is about 100. I Use the powersun with a ceramic heat bulb for night. I use a an under tank heater as well just because my tank sits in front of my ac vent. I only use the under tank in the summer cause speedy burrows in the cypress mulch down to the bottom of the tank and I have my tank on a stand and the back is open so the ac blows into the stand.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
If you've had the same UVB bulb all the years you've had her, safe to assume it isn't producing UVB anymore. A UVB meter is very useful for tortoise keepers to keep things on track, but I realize they're too expensive for many keepers. If you're not measuring UVB output, you need to replace bulbs every 6 months or so. If you're getting regular outdoor time, the bulbs aren't a big concern though.

I just bought a new UVB bulb today. It's a 10.0. Is that a good one? I will be sure to change it more frequently now that I know. Too bad I didn't look into that sooner. :(

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Tortoises don't need toys, exactly, but objects of interest can keep them from getting bored.
I put in spider plants, which also help with the humidity, rocks and sight barriers, a hill to climb and a couple of water features some humid hides and a thick substrate layer to dig into as well as her Nintendo.
But you really need a much larger enclosure for all that.

I think I'll add one or two things that might interest her. Maybe a flower pot as well. Thank you!

GingerLove

5 Year Member
@GingerLove variety is variety over time not in the same day or even week.

Use up the food you've bought and get something different next time.

Mix in as much weeds and other garden plants as possible.

Unfortunately I don't have a garden... just one aloe plant. I wonder if there are different mixes I could switch too? I was using a spring mix. She hasn't tried mazuri. I always make sure to give her cucumber, zucchini, or squash along with mixes. It's her fave. I'll take your recommendations, thank you!

GingerLove

5 Year Member

I take her out every day, so she is getting UV rays, but I bought a new bulb anyway. I realize that her tank is smaller than most, so I make sure to give her lots of outside time. It might not make up for the tank size, but it's better than nothing. (A lot better than what the pet store had her in. ;) ) Thank you all for your advice, I'm working on the UVB, diet, and I'll add new "decor" for her to explore.