How rare is.....

Onidara

How rare is breeding pairs of true Bolivian redfoot tortoises? Because I recently have gotten two breeding pairs of them. Just never rarely heard of them so I wanted to see how often they come up.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
It's probably pretty rare for someone to part with breeding pairs. I wouldn't say that they are rare but they are much more uncommon than many other locales of redfoots. Do you have any pics of the breeders?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
It's probably pretty rare for someone to part with breeding pairs. I wouldn't say that they are rare but they are much more uncommon than many other locales of redfoots. Do you have any pics of the breeders?

Agree. A fairly large number of them came into the U.S. in the 80s and one would assume that some are still around. But as Bryan mentioned, anyone with a breeding pair is likely hanging onto them.
Having said that a friend of mine recently acquired an adult male from a rescue shelter!

Onidara

I can get you pics when I get home later but I have confirmed with Chris Leone that they are Bolivian since he was the one to sell them to the guy I bought them from.

Onidara

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1484787533.327786.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1484787546.000699.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1484787570.800087.jpg
That's all four of them, can't really get it good shot of the bottom since I'm cleaning all four of shell rot right now but they are dark like Brazilians but without any marbling at all

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Agree. A fairly large number of them came into the U.S. in the 80s and one would assume that some are still around. But as Bryan mentioned, anyone with a breeding pair is likely hanging onto them.
Having said that a friend of mine recently acquired an adult male from a rescue shelter!

Wow talk about lucky! It took me years to finally land a male!

allegraf

10 Year Member!
We also managed to get a pair. They are gigantic and very cool torts.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I gotta say those are nice looking animals

Bryan

10 Year Member!
We also managed to get a pair. They are gigantic and very cool torts.

Yes they are! Brazilians and Gran Chaco's are my favorite locales, good for you to also land a pair! That's 3 pairs and a male picked up from a rescue shelter so far in this thread, they are getting less and less rare by the post LOL!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Congrats and best of luck with breeding them! They are awesome.