How they grow .. and why..

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
@tarta4ever .. asked if I followed their growth - a few I did.

A Caresheet was created in 2005 - the 1998 hatchlings I acquired didn't take long before they started to grow bumpy/pyramided -- but I followed what they said online.. fed them hay and spring-mix ONLY.. a cool side and hot basking side [ where they never went ].. full lenghth UVB bulbs and by all means soak them every day [ which really scared the poop out of them ] - sound familiar? So I ended up with malnourished and pyramided yearling redfoot tortoises.
I asked around and talked with a few breeders .. [ not those lobbying for commercial tortoise product manufacturers ] and ended up creating a Caresheet that was virtually the opposite of what could be found back then. It was about too late for the first babies... so here's what THEIR babies grew like -

This Yellow hatched mid-2005 ..

Aug. 2007 -

Jan. 2008 -

I have a few more...

Any questions???

@Anyfoot

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
OK you need to share your step by step Gide . Lol you do have some beautiful reds . Nice and clean . I'd like to know how you manage that . I can scrub my tortoises down . Then five minutes later dirty again.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
OK you need to share your step by step Gide . Lol you do have some beautiful reds . Nice and clean . I'd like to know how you manage that . I can scrub my tortoises down . Then five minutes later dirty again.

@mike taylor .. are you asking how to keep them clean or grow them up right?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
@tarta4ever .. asked if I followed their growth - a few I did.

A Caresheet was created in 2005 - the 1998 hatchlings I acquired didn't take long before they started to grow bumpy/pyramided -- but I followed what they said online.. fed them hay and spring-mix ONLY.. a cool side and hot basking side [ where they never went ].. full lenghth UVB bulbs and by all means soak them every day [ which really scared the poop out of them ] - sound familiar? So I ended up with malnourished and pyramided yearling redfoot tortoises.
I asked around and talked with a few breeders .. [ not those lobbying for commercial tortoise product manufacturers ] and ended up creating a Caresheet that was virtually the opposite of what could be found back then. It was about too late for the first babies... so here's what THEIR babies grew like -

This Yellow hatched mid-2005 ..

Aug. 2007 -

Jan. 2008 -

I have a few more...

Any questions???

@Anyfoot

typo .. she hatched May 2007

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
That's why I'm asking lol. Just wanted to "hear" it from you or someone.
But that's interesting that they don't need a cool side and a warm basking side.

@Big Ol Tortoise .. that's my caresheet that got these shown.. growing like they did.

Early on the only 'pet' tortoises were the Russians and Greeks which are herbivores that are very cold-tolerant. Redfoot tortoises are omnivores that live much closer to the equator where the annual temps vary little.. 2 seasons - wet and dry - unfortunately the powers that be seem to think that all tortoises are the same.. so one caresheet works for all tortoises on the planet - NOT - they are not basking tortoises.. they get their D3 from their diet!!!

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
@Big Ol Tortoise .. that's my caresheet that got these shown.. growing like they did.

Early on the only 'pet' tortoises were the Russians and Greeks which are herbivores that are very cold-tolerant. Redfoot tortoises are omnivores that live much closer to the equator where the annual temps vary little.. 2 seasons - wet and dry - unfortunately the powers that be seem to think that all tortoises are the same.. so one caresheet works for all tortoises on the planet - NOT - they are not basking tortoises.. they get their D3 from their diet!!!

Oh wow! I didn't know that was your care sheet... I added it to my favorites so I can read more later. Very nice btw. Love what you do.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
@Big Ol Tortoise .. yes .. I've been told the best form of flattery is being copied -- ever noticed that all the redfoot tortoise caresheets were written after 2005? Only problem is they always try to improve on it - don't get me wrong.. I'm all for improvements when needed.. but as the old saying states "If it ain't broke don't fix it". And you know what.. as many times as I've asked to see the results of THEIR caresheet.. not once do they show evidence.

Carl sent these to me in May 2005 -

6 months later -

Look at the growth on these.. just shy 3 years later -

Start with good stock.. treat them right and this is what you get... how do you improve on these results?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
All gorgeous torts.

Terry, my diet is slightly different to yours but nothing drastic, for my hatchlings I feed mushrooms every other day, weeds every day and animal protein once a week from 12wks on.
We spoke before about D3 intake in the diet versus UVB. I still use a small UVB strip light, people have to understand that if they are totally reliant on diet for D3 then the diet becomes SUPER important. So for example if someone was only feeding grocery bought greens and fruit the lack of a UVB source is dangerous. Your thoughts on that.

Think I'm right in saying you don't soak your tortoises. Is this never? Or did you soak when they were hatchlings? Maybe you do it from time to time if you clean your tortoises. Explain how you make sure your tortoises don't dehydrate please?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
All gorgeous torts.

Terry, my diet is slightly different to yours but nothing drastic, for my hatchlings I feed mushrooms every other day, weeds every day and animal protein once a week from 12wks on.
We spoke before about D3 intake in the diet versus UVB. I still use a small UVB strip light, people have to understand that if they are totally reliant on diet for D3 then the diet becomes SUPER important. So for example if someone was only feeding grocery bought greens and fruit the lack of a UVB source is dangerous. Your thoughts on that.

Think I'm right in saying you don't soak your tortoises. Is this never? Or did you soak when they were hatchlings? Maybe you do it from time to time if you clean your tortoises. Explain how you make sure your tortoises don't dehydrate please?

Have no idea why you 'changed-it'... but you did! Once again this UVB/D3 theory is way out of balance. It's all important -- in balance!!!

"....if someone was only feeding grocery bought greens and fruit the lack of a UVB source is dangerous. Your thoughts on that. Where did you read feed ONLY greens and fruit Craig.. of course they need a D3 source.. you provide mushrooms! How many mushrooms and/or a good quality dry cat food can you buy for what a UVB bulb costs? [ at least twice a year bulbs need changed ]

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER .. have I ever FORCE-SOAKED my redfoots! Provide the source(s) they will use them.

I've explained how I do it... you see the results [ all I'm going to say gang - it's your money and your redfoot ] Do what you have to do.. give them plenty of space - it may take a few changes .. it will be worth the effort! KEEP IT IN BALANCE

EVERYBODY ... provide their needs and sit back and watch them enjoy their space!

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
Thanks for the info, your redfoots do look beautiful!

I've also looked into redfoot care when I acquired mine. I believe it is important to provide a most natural situation. They live in forested areas, with open spaces. I therefore decided to provide enough shade, but also an MVB for "sun experience". And my redfoot really loves to bask! And yes, overall temps are high enough, she's just loves the sun.

I would also worry that the diet doesn't provide enough D3. Not all mushrooms contain a lot of it. Supplementing might be the way to go, because it is impossible for us to provide a 100% natural diet. I'll just go with the UVB light....

I think there are more right ways to raise redfoots, as long as we provide them with what they need.