How to cut torts nails?

MyTortoise

I have tried wearing down my torts nails by putting out more rocks and pebbles but her nails are still really long!? I was wondering how to cut them? Also, I know it sounds a silly because it doesn't affect us but does it hurt them?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
A human or dog/cat nail cutter will work. A nail file will also work, it all depends on how much you need to file/cut. As long as you don't cut the quick ( blood vessel) in the nail, it won't hurt.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can we see a pic? Tortoises seldom need their nails trimmed.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
those don't look TOO long, if a little pointy at the end. Tom is right, tortoises hardly ever really need there toes trimmed. If your tort is causes harm to himself or you, it's time to trim them up! If you do, make sure to have either (or both) wet tea bags or QUICKpads, to stop any bleeding if you cut too far down.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I agree - not too bad. I have had some box turtles brought to me with really long nails (I named one of them Dragon Lady!) I prefer to use a dremmel type instrument. Someone gave me a ped-paws and it works pretty well. I've never had any problems with it (no bleeding.) Good luck!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Those look normal to me. At least, all of mine have nails at least that long and all the ones I have seen in the pet stores...