1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

How to fix a fluorescent lights

Discussion in 'Tortoise Enclosure Lighting' started by TillyTots, Jul 11, 2018.

1. TillyTots

TillyTots New Member

hi guys

This may be a dumb question to some but can anyone explain to me how to fix up a fluorescent light bracket?

This is the Vivarium and these are the brackets that I got with the fluorescent lighting controller. The instructions do not make a lick of sense to me.

Attached Files:

2. daniellenc

daniellenc Well-Known Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Are those plastic screws? If so I’d imagine they’ll crack when you drill them in. I may ditch them and use regular metal screws. I’m guessing the brackets have holes you simply insert the screw and drill into the top. That’s how mine is at least.
  3. TillyTots

TillyTots New Member

This is the hole in the bracket. There’s so no holes in the viv so not sure how to fix it to it.

Attached Files:

4. daniellenc

You use a drill to drill the screw into the vivs roof.
  5. TillyTots

TillyTots New Member

Is it safe to use metal screws with a plastic clip? I wasn't sure if I had to buy a complete new bracket system or anything.
  6. Markw84

Markw84 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

That is made to secure the bulb to the top of the enclosure. However, you probably will need to adjust the height.

I would screw those clips onto a board. (It would be easier to use a metal screw to go through the holes on the clip and into the wood. Just be careful to only tighten lightly and not crack the clips.) Then clip the tube to the board. If your fluorescent light is 34" long, then make the board 24" long. A 1x2 would work fine.

Screw two cup hooks into the other side of the board, and two other cup hooks into the "ceiling" of your enclosure at the same spacing as they are on the board.

Then simply take two wires or very small lamp chain and adjust to the height you want the fluorescent above the substrate.
    daniellenc likes this.
  7. daniellenc

That was such a better answer lol