How to ID a 'yearling' "True Bolivian" ?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Since the 'original' thread went chasing after a whole big flock of wild geese.. will you please help determine if this is a "True Bolivian" PLEASE?

I had never done business with this dealer before. And these pics are what I had to base the ID on -

Obviously I'm not asking for opinions of whether it's "True" or not - I'm asking... based on these 3 pics [ no other info was known at that time ] .. what do you see that tells you that is in fact a "True Bolivian" yearling?

Please - cdmay .. Bryan ..N2TORTS .... help all those that are watching all of this that .. are not saying anything and .. are trying to learn from it all -- PLEASE???

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Terry,

I recognize those from a local pet shop in Miami. They don't breed their own stock so I don't know if it would be a true Bolivian or not. I am very curious if the darkness in the plastron will eventually spread and become the tell tale sign of a Bolivian. I will defer to all the others who know way more than I! Fingers crossed, Nerd!

Allegra

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Thanks Allegra!

When I underlined .. at that time - in this thread.. I meant exactly that!

After I received the first one I found out who the breeder was - who was exactly who I suspected. Once I knew that I knew they were in fact "True"!

However -- because of the very limited "signs" to go by due to youth and limited 'angle, etc. of the pics.. I had to go by the 'dark' pattern on the plastron.

{ you know exactly where they came from Allegra - I'm very impressed by their customer service, etc.!!! )

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Every nice guys, who is their source?

Bryan

10 Year Member!
The carapace pic and the skin and scale color looks similar to other Bolivians that I have seen so those 3 traits are consistent with Bolivians. If I was unsure of the breeder's credibility the plastron pic would give me some pause but wouldn't be a deal breaker by itself if everything else checked out. I'd love to see pics of the head scales and the front legs before making a call. If you'd like to send me a private message and tell me where you got it from that could be helpful as well as that could make a world of difference as I have seen animals with lighter plastrons from people with Bolivians and also from people that clearly had neonates that were both pure and some that were mixed with Northerns.

Long story short, if I had to go off of only those pics and I had to hedge money one way or another I would put my money on it being a Bolivian. That said I would not buy that animal without a head pic and a pic of the front legs on top of these pics especially if I had plans on breeding it as a pure locale animal.

Last edited:

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
The carapace pic and the skin and scale color looks similar to other Bolivians that I have seen so those 3 traits are consistent with Bolivians. If I was unsure of the breeder's credibility the plastron pic would give me some pause but wouldn't be a deal breaker by itself if everything else checked out. I'd love to see pics of the head scales and the front legs before making a call. If you'd like to send me a private message and tell me where you got it from that could be helpful as well as that could make a world of difference as I have seen animals with lighter plastrons from people with Bolivians and also from people that clearly had neonates that were both pure and some that were mixed with Northerns.

Long story short, if I had to go off of only those pics and I had to hedge money one way or another I would put my money on it being a Bolivian. That said I would not buy that animal without a head pic and a pic of the front legs on top of these pics especially if I had plans on breeding it as a pure locale animal.

Thanks for the reply Bryan.

I liked the carapace as well .. and what I could see of the top of the head AND especially that the plastron had a different look than Northerns [ no diamond, etc. PLUS the pattern was also toward the 'front' of the plastron ] - especially NO marbling signs at all [ which is the only thing I knew - had never seen a 'non-marbled' plastron on a Brazilian before ( not open for discussion please ) ]

These just mentioned is what I saw - in my limited experience...