How to prevent pyramiding?

Emily Contreras

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
So I have seen alot of people saying high humidity and soaking daily prevents humidity, I read a "recent" article on how high humidity and soaking daily works wonders, but then, I have heard that keeping the enclosure as dry as possible prevents it, Right now, he has a VERY humid enclosure, and is getting daily soaks, followed by daily sunshine and outdoor time. Right now my tort has a 20 gallon tank and is soon to be moved into a old coffee table thing that is at least 250 gallons. (It has a top but we are going to put holes in it)

Anyways, What have you all had most success with? I just want my baby to be as healthy looking and as healthy as possible. I do not want pyramiding in his shell. He is healthy, hes pooping, eating, but is very inactive in his tank, but VERY active outside. Could I be doing something wrong?

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Georgia
Adding calcium powder to his food should decrease the chances of pyramiding

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Where have you been getting the advice about dry enclosures? How old is the information? What are credentials of the person and or source if that applies.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
Where have you been getting the advice about dry enclosures? How old is the information? What are credentials of the person and or source if that applies.
Well, my work buddy said he used to have one and he said that my sulcata should have the DRYEST enclosure possible and only be given water 2 times a week, and to NEVER soak. And ive read other articles from like, 2016 about this too.. I litterally searched on google.. But I have read some new things and it says higher humidity is better.

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Georgia
Also don’t feed Saturn any melon, unless Saturn hasn’t drank any water for a long time

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Georgia
Melons are mainly water. Therefore they have almost no nutritional value

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Georgia
I feed my tortoises mainly veggies and grass. I also feed them mazuri tortoise diet

Melis

Maryland
Please do some research on this forum and you’ll find plenty of info. You seem to have received some bad advice. Pyramiding is caused from being raised in a dry environment. Nothing to do with food or supplements. Your friend used the old info that people used to raise sulcatas on (myself included). Your humidity needs to be at least 80%.

That’s great you will be upgrading his home soon. Inactivity could indicate many things. A picture of your enclosure and temperature and humidity readings could help us identify issues.

You can also find tons of info on food here as well. Grass and weeds should make up the majority of the diet. Please read the info sheet posted in the sulcata section and come back with any questions!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Well, my work buddy said he used to have one and he said that my sulcata should have the DRYEST enclosure possible and only be given water 2 times a week, and to NEVER soak. And ive read other articles from like, 2016 about this too.. I litterally searched on google.. But I have read some new things and it says higher humidity is better.

Dry enclosures, play sand, and cat food are just several examples of information that was later proven to be more harmful than good. Many of the active members in this forum are ongoing tortoise keepers and or breeders. Your work buddy, probably doesn't keep up with the latest information.

Oh ok. May I ask why it is bad for them?
Also can you provide me a list of all the fruits they can eat?

Here is a list of harmful properties. Sulcatas don't need fruit.
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/tortoise-diet/harmful-properties/

Emily Contreras

Arizona
Please do some research on this forum and you’ll find plenty of info. You seem to have received some bad advice. Pyramiding is caused from being raised in a dry environment. Nothing to do with food or supplements. Your friend used the old info that people used to raise sulcatas on (myself included). Your humidity needs to be at least 80%.

That’s great you will be upgrading his home soon. Inactivity could indicate many things. A picture of your enclosure and temperature and humidity readings could help us identify issues.

You can also find tons of info on food here as well. Grass and weeds should make up the majority of the diet. Please read the info sheet posted in the sulcata section and come back with any questions!
Ive read everything, just wanted to be sure! Thank you and of course, here:

he is inside the spaceship thing. This is temporary.. maybe a week more of this tiny cage and he can say goodbye to it. (the spaceship is buried underground) and his waterdish and grass (currently growing) is out of frame. saturntank.JPG

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Make sure the edges/opening of your hide(s) are smooth. File them out and use higher grits to get the best results. I like to fill hides with enough substrate to give my tortoises the feeling of being burrowed without needing to do so.

Pennsylvania
Said it died because of dehydration of being outside too much
I wouldnt listen to your work buddy. At all. No offense, but if he's telling you no water and no soaking even after his tort died of dehydration he doesnt sound like he knows anything about them nor too bright.

Im most definitely still learning and researching myself. My advice is to research this forum and read all the stickied forums at the top. I dont even research from google now because the info contradicts most of what a lot people say here. Ive been reading all the forums even if it's not something that pertains to my torts because I might need to know that info later. The people here definitely know what they're talking about and want to see everyones tortoises thrive.

Good luck! :)