How's this guy looking?

Speeedy

So we had this guy handed down to us, and we've been caring for him (I think it's a male?!- help!) for 4-5 years and he seems as happy as ever. Took him to the vets who said despite a slight chip in his shell he's in great condition.

A thoughts crossed my mind, would the little guy be happier with a friend or does this species like to roam along?

If anyone could help describe the species/ sex I'd be most grateful!!

Cheers guys
(P.s if you can help then you're beating the vets!!!)
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No, your tortoise would NOT be happier with other tortoises for company.Tortoises are solitary and chase other tortoises out of their territory. They don't like to share the best hiding place or the food. This chasing sometimes amounts to a bloody battle, leaving one of the combatants on his back to die in the sun. He's perfectly happy at your house being an only tortoise.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you have a waterer set into the ground big enough that he can climb into and out of? His eyes look a little sunken which might mean dehydration.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Looks like an old female either dalmation hermann or western hermann. @HermanniChris would know. Probably going to need a clearer shot of the plastron though and it's rear end so he can see the scutes and whether or not it keys. I do see a split super caudal scute there though. But I'm not best with Mediterranean species.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
That's a nice, old large male Testudo hermanni boettgeri for sure. Impressive animal!

Speeedy

Hey guys thanks for all your replies. In answer to some of the points -

@Yvonne G - thanks for the reply. Really handy to know and rest assured Speedy has a complete run of the garden and will continue to do so! He's got a little pool of water which he can enter/ leave of his own accord, and seems happy to figure his own way around the place.

@tortadise & @HermanniChris - thanks for the accurate ident there. @tortadise I'll upload some more photos so keep tuned!

@Kitkat1989 & @kathyth - cheers for your replies. He's a great little guy and has fit well into our family! :)