Humid/regular hide

Noah101

Location (City and/or State)
Cedar grove nj
Do I need a humid hide and a regular hide for my adult Russian tortoise Also for the humid hide what should the humidity be and where in the enclosure should I put the hide/hides

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do I need a humid hide and a regular hide for my adult Russian tortoise Also for the humid hide what should the humidity be and where in the enclosure should I put the hide/hides
You really don't need a humid hide for an adult Russian, although it won't hurt anything. Some damp soil or dirt to dig into under a hide is never a bad thing.

Humid hides do help the tortoise retain water and can help prevent dehydration between soaks.

In an outdoor enclosure, there should be several hides in a variety of areas, full sun, full shade, and dappled shade areas. This will allow the tortoise to move around to regulate its body temperature, but still feel safe and secure in a hide.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
As long as the whole enclosure has correct humidity levels, I wouldn’t worry about a humid hide, especially for an adult, you can if you wish, but it’s more about making the whole environment correct levels🙂

Definitely have a hide in the cooler end, but you can put hides/ plants for coverage throughout the enclosure, as long as it’s not too cluttered😊

Noah101

Cedar grove nj
You really don't need a humid hide for an adult Russian, although it won't hurt anything. Some damp soil or dirt to dig into under a hide is never a bad thing.

Humid hides do help the tortoise retain water and can help prevent dehydration between soaks.

In an outdoor enclosure, there should be several hides in a variety of areas, full sun, full shade, and dappled shade areas. This will allow the tortoise to move around to regulate its body temperature, but still feel safe and secure in a hide.
Imagine forgot to say again it’s a indoor enclosure if that changes anything

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Same info applies, you can add one if you wish but as long as all your levels are correct in the enclosure, it’s not a necessity, hope this helps🙂