Humidification questions

ak8o8

Location (City and/or State)
Honolulu, HI
Hey guys, just got a humidifier for my redfoot’s habitat. Humidity is 80 to 90%.

Is soaking still recommended?

Also do you all leave your humidifiers on at night too or should I be turning it off?

Just noticed that she has climbed up on her cave (above mist level), does that mean she’s avoiding the humidity or is she active enough to be basking now?

Thanks for any help! Happy holidays!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I soaked my redfoot hatchlings every couple days for the first year. After that, I didn't soak them.

If your humidifier is the "cool mist" (ultrasonic) it may be avoiding the stream because it can lower the temperature in the area that the fog occurs. It's likely avoiding that area due to the temperature drop and not for the humidity but we really can't say for sure.

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
I soaked my redfoot hatchlings every couple days for the first year. After that, I didn't soak them.

If your humidifier is the "cool mist" (ultrasonic) it may be avoiding the stream because it can lower the temperature in the area that the fog occurs. It's likely avoiding that area due to the temperature drop and not for the humidity but we really can't say for sure.

To add to this:

The temp drop can be pretty significant because you're basically dumping room temperature fog into a nice warm enclosure with no chance for it to warm up. When I was initially messing with setup I was seeing fog at 74-75 and other areas of the enclosure in the low 80's. I ended up making sure it was pointed away from the sleeping area so it could warm a bit, closing things up better and manually watering a few special deep patches of substrate with warm water every day.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Do you have pictures of your setup? Your tort may be trying to get closer to the heat source